Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Sun 22 October, 2017 - 09:23 pm
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: Adding YouTube Clips

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  The Lab (Moderator: Stu)
| | |-+  anti virus software
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: anti virus software  (Read 677 times)
Bored
Supreme Master

It's not just a river in Egypt

« on: Sat 5 April, 2008 - 11:52 pm »

Stu was saying on another thread that he doesn't use antivirus software

Firewall is still good to have on, I always use them, I'm not a person that uses anti-virus software anyway, I just be careful with what I do and open ...

freely downloadable software is the biggest culprit ... and in my experience, monitoring your task manager is the most effective means of spotting them anyway

i'm seriously interested in binning my antivirus. i experimented tonight and it was much much faster without it

however i do go to at risk sites, as i go looking for videos etc
just tonight i got an error message that i needed to download an active x video control (words to that effect) at a video site. it looked suspect to me so i closed it using the task manager

so my question is how big a risk is it to get rid of the antivirus if i still have my zone firewalls operating and firefox browser?

i do use IE but i only open my gmail on that

Free stuff - go on ya know ya want it
bytey
Supreme Loser

« Reply #1 on: Sun 6 April, 2008 - 12:00 am »

I generally dont use antivi - and if i do I dont keep it up to date.

I am not overly careful about anything.

I have my firewall on - I think, but im not actually sure on that..and I use ie.

Its up to you to take that risk - im not going to say your puter will be safe and Im not going to say it wont be either. But if oyu dont know a lot about pc's my advice is to use an antivirus and a firewall

Stu knows what hes doing and how to solve any problems that MAY arise.
« Last Edit: Sun 6 April, 2008 - 12:01 am by Far Q » Logged
bytey
Supreme Loser

« Reply #2 on: Sun 6 April, 2008 - 12:19 am »

I generally dont use antivi - and if i do I dont keep it up to date.

I am not overly careful about anything.

I have my firewall on - I think, but im not actually sure on that..and I use ie.

Its up to you to take that risk - im not going to say your puter will be safe and Im not going to say it wont be either. But if oyu dont know a lot about pc's my advice is to use an antivirus and a firewall

Stu knows what hes doing and how to solve any problems that MAY arise.

Thats not to say you DONT know what you are doing......

was just making a blanket statement that I think people who dont really know about pc's should use the protection available to them.

Im sure oyu must know a wee bit though with your site and that.
Bored
Supreme Master

« Reply #3 on: Sun 6 April, 2008 - 01:06 am »

i know a wee bit from running websites and ummm fixing viruses i've downloaded before but i'm not up there with stu

might have to find a faster antivirus program instead. avast is sluggish

bytey
Supreme Loser

« Reply #4 on: Sun 6 April, 2008 - 01:17 am »

i know a wee bit from running websites and ummm fixing viruses i've downloaded before but i'm not up there with stu

might have to find a faster antivirus program instead. avast is sluggish

I dont mine avast - thats what I make mr bytey have on his desktop.

Its one of the better freebies
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #5 on: Sun 6 April, 2008 - 08:43 am »

Myself, I'm all for a Firewall, but Antivirus software??? meh ... Get one that scans rather that running all the time and do a scan every few days, make sure you keep your important stuff backed up, make sure your firewall is turned on(Windows built in firewall does all you need), and make sure automatic updates is turned on.  Oh, and ensure your browser is set to warn you about downloading files,in most browsers there's the option to 'not show this warning again' or something, don't ever tick that.

As for the Active X, I say never install them unless it's from Microsoft or something.  Active X is a Microsoft Technology, and should only have been offered if you were using IE.  I never install any of that kind of crap, technologies like JavaScript and Flash are so advanced now, there's no need for anybody to install custom components, only reason usually is to gain access to your harddrive, as that's one thing you can't do with JS and Flash
Bored
Supreme Master

« Reply #6 on: Mon 7 April, 2008 - 05:17 pm »

That's interesting on the Active X. i was in firefox when the message came up so now i know i was wise to get out of there

a couple of years ago I downloaded the Active X as they made it sound official and then it installed a trojan and popped up with a message that I needed to buy their software to fix it.

I googled and found it was a scam and got it all removed. Now I've been scared into being smart about not clicking things. the active x control window is one of those ones that if you click cancel it just keeps looping up to the message so now if it comes up any time i just go to my manager and get it to force the window closed

automatic updates - for windows as well as firefox???

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length