Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Tue 17 October, 2017 - 07:03 pm
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: Adding YouTube Clips

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Mass Debating Chamber
| | |-+  Myanmar
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Myanmar  (Read 1046 times)
Coach
Supreme Loser

internet grinch since 1998

« on: Mon 12 May, 2008 - 10:45 am »

It is being reported that the military leadership of Mynmar is obstructing offers by international aid agencies to get help to those who desperately need it. I've seen threads on other boards where it has been suggested that the west should render the Myanmar leadership powerless and take control of the situation.

Myself, I think that such an action would be an act of imperialist interference on a par with Bush's theft of Iraq, but I can offer no ideas on how to persuade their authorities that they are out of their depth.

Air drops would work for foodstuffs and basic building materials, but medical supplies are useless without the skilled personnel neccesary to administer them.

Anyone else got ideas on how to get help to those that need it?

This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype.
Meggy
Supreme Loser

« Reply #1 on: Mon 12 May, 2008 - 12:14 pm »

I guess  Myanmar doesn't have any oil otherwise the yanks would be there 'helping' regardless of what those crazed generals who are running the country say

***** I'm soooooo boring it's facinating *****
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #2 on: Mon 12 May, 2008 - 12:33 pm »

I don't understand why they WOULDN'T want help - its obviously a HUGE crisis 

I don't think you could even get planes to drop off supplies, as it could be seen as enemies flying in their territory - a whole messy enterprise.

I can hear the raven sing .... a spiritual glow envelops, medicine power develops ... as the raven sings.
Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #3 on: Mon 12 May, 2008 - 01:16 pm »

pride.  and wanting to keep the rest of the world out.

I guess  Myanmar doesn't have any oil otherwise the yanks would be there 'helping' regardless of what those crazed generals who are running the country say

Brought to you by dab   you are so right!!

The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #4 on: Mon 12 May, 2008 - 01:19 pm »

There's nothing that can be done.  There's speculation that sweet fa of monetary aide being sent in is getting to those that need it, instead going to the generals that run the country.  Maybe one of the reasons they're not letting aide workers in, cos they know the west will still try to help by sending money etc, but if they aide workers get in the military leaders won't be able to spend the money themselves.  I don't think military action should be taken against them either, such as what happened in Iraq, and I don't think money should be given to them if it's not going to get to those that need it.  Force a stalemate, they'll give in eventually, pity about all the peeps that will die in the meantime, but in reality, there is nothing that can be done.
Cluzzfumble Footwad
Supreme Loser

« Reply #5 on: Mon 12 May, 2008 - 03:46 pm »

Apparently there are a few military-sanctioned aid agencies being allowed to work at the moment - those that were already there prior to the cyclone, and obviously willing to pander to the general's wishes.
It's still not enough to do any good at this point though. Are there any countries that actually support Myanmar, that could be persuaded to give them a shove in the right direction?
If not, there's not a lot anyone can do apart from write it off as a tragic and unnecessary waste.
spanky
Supreme Loser

« Reply #6 on: Mon 12 May, 2008 - 06:37 pm »

I feel incredibly sorry for the people that live there. But now im just over hearing about it all. Its a closed door there by the countries own wishes. Leave them to it i say.

Its all talk talk talk noww about how they wont accept help, hard i know but if thats what they really want let them be.

But it begs the question just what are they hiding.
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #7 on: Mon 12 May, 2008 - 06:52 pm »

They did the out of ten poll on The Rock about it today, apparently NZ gave $1 million to their military rulers, when charities closer to home need the money(ie the Westpac Helicopter), but our government won't give to local charity.  that sux IMO, money like that should be used here first, especially when giving it to Myanmar is just going into the pockets of the military rulers there
spanky
Supreme Loser

« Reply #8 on: Mon 12 May, 2008 - 08:44 pm »

They did the out of ten poll on The Rock about it today, apparently NZ gave $1 million to their military rulers, when charities closer to home need the money(ie the Westpac Helicopter), but our government won't give to local charity.  that sux IMO, money like that should be used here first, especially when giving it to Myanmar is just going into the pockets of the military rulers there

Didnt we give 500 000 first... then the mill after we already said the 5

I thort it was 1.5 mil all up??
spanky
Supreme Loser

« Reply #9 on: Mon 12 May, 2008 - 08:45 pm »

lol wanted to see what looked like...   
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #10 on: Mon 12 May, 2008 - 09:36 pm »

I dunno ... my eyes glaze whenever I hear news items about it ... I just took note of the out of 10 poll about it, actually everything I know about the entire crisis is from this mornings out of ten poll
Meggy
Supreme Loser

« Reply #11 on: Mon 12 May, 2008 - 09:52 pm »

I heard on the radio this morning that the NZ taxpayer had donated $1.5 million ...pissed me off because it's not going to those poor buggers who need it

***** I'm soooooo boring it's facinating *****
Kain
Supreme Loser

Hmmmm...

« Reply #12 on: Mon 12 May, 2008 - 10:27 pm »

Any aid that is getting through is being renamed as Government aid with the names of their Generals on them. Another controlling measure by their leaders... 

And then they can say that the west didn't offer much help and they did it all.

WEEE!!!
Brain
Buzzard

« Reply #13 on: Tue 13 May, 2008 - 07:31 pm »

they are in a difficult situation.
to maintain control over the population the generals need to control
the information the population are getting. they need to maintain the belief that the situation
is under control and isn't anything near a disaster, maybe a few hundred people without a roof, or a little flooding maybe.
if the population find out that a large portion of their country is devastated they will question
the leadership and there could be unrest.
however... if the generals let in large amounts of aid, and foriegn workers into the country, and people see packages with the names of countries and organisations that for years they  have been told are bad, evil, and trying to take over the country then there could be unrest
among the population.
so!  what are they to do?
let people help them and risk civil unrest?
or.. sweep it under the carpet and supress information and "do away with" anyone who raises questions about the leadership?

if they hold off for as long as they can then a lot of the affected people will simply cease being a problem.

pressure needs to be applied to get as much aid in as possible and if the government folds then fine... but! if it does then the coubtry should not be "occupied" by friendly well meaning forces.. i.e.  USA/UK 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length