Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Wed 25 October, 2017 - 12:20 am
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: Unread Posts Since Your Last Visit

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Mass Debating Chamber
| | |-+  1080 again
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1080 again  (Read 24901 times)
Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #100 on: Tue 1 September, 2009 - 11:38 pm »

The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.
lullacry
>> Canned <<

« Reply #101 on: Tue 1 September, 2009 - 11:45 pm »

i'll take it you dont have one yet collie 

i dont know why people expect to change something without putting up an alternative

grumpy - i know it isnt, but nobody seems to have another option that is just as efficient as 1080...yet
Coach
Supreme Loser

internet grinch since 1998

« Reply #102 on: Tue 1 September, 2009 - 11:49 pm »

Do you want a safe or a cheap solution ? the two are mutually exclusive

This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype.
lullacry
>> Canned <<

« Reply #103 on: Tue 1 September, 2009 - 11:51 pm »

Do you want a safe or a cheap solution ? the two are mutually exclusive

safe
Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #104 on: Tue 1 September, 2009 - 11:59 pm »

It would be interesting to see DOC's budget for 1080 and see how much manual pest removal costs by comparison. There is no market for the corpses of birdlife, or for poisoned possums, but I'm sure that if places like Korea and Tonga eat dog, it wouldn't be impossible to market possum meat. There's already a strong demand for plucked possum fur - again, I'm sure it could easily be sold to countries whose customs differ from ours.

This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype.
lullacry
>> Canned <<

« Reply #105 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 12:04 am »

It would be interesting to see DOC's budget for 1080 and see how much manual pest removal costs by comparison. There is no market for the corpses of birdlife, or for poisoned possums, but I'm sure that if places like Korea and Tonga eat dog, it wouldn't be impossible to market possum meat. There's already a strong demand for plucked possum fur - again, I'm sure it could easily be sold to countries whose customs differ from ours.

the possums carry TB  eek well in theory they're meant to

i take it there is no REAL safe solution & hunting/trapping would be expensive and extensive...thats why im sticking with 1080 for now, im not one of these ones who moans about something but dont have an alternative option and/or solution.

and i challenge anyone who is serious about this to find one
Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #106 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 12:13 am »

the possums carry TB  eek well in theory they're meant to

i take it there is no REAL safe solution & hunting/trapping would be expensive and extensive...thats why im sticking with 1080 for now, im not one of these ones who moans about something but dont have an alternative option and/or solution.

and i challenge anyone who is serious about this to find one

And why would we choose to? you've already demonstrated numerous times that the opinions that you present as facts are in no way affected by information that others bring to this forum.

I could spend the rest of this evening  cut/pasting information from anti-1080 sites, and I could apply the 'metalrose technique' - you know, the one that lets you ignore anything posted that disproves your own opinion - but frankly, there's more to life.

New Zealand is not the first country to experience species overpopulation, but it is the only one that tackles the problem with 1080. I'd like to know how other countries tackle their pest infestations, and why we just pour poison on them repeatedly in the hope that against all historical evidence it will resolve the issue.

lullacry
>> Canned <<

« Reply #107 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 12:16 am »

come back with a solution, or not at all, goodnight
Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #108 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 12:20 am »

Again, I lay down a raft of points to ponder, and again, lullacry would rather turn to confrontation. This pattern of behaviour would seem to add weight to my opinion that lullacry has a social/mental disfunction.

Please seek some help.

lullacry
>> Canned <<

« Reply #109 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 12:24 am »

Again, I lay down a raft of points to ponder, and again, lullacry would rather turn to confrontation. This pattern of behaviour would seem to add weight to my opinion that lullacry has a social/mental disfunction.

Please seek some help.

oh im pondering your points alright, pondering them & am going to steal them & present them as my own 

and YOU are helping me lol, even though you dont mean to

*bedtime*
Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #110 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 12:26 am »

Sleep well, and talk to a doctor, soon.

willowbridge
Supreme Mistress

La Vie Est Merde

« Reply #111 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 09:25 am »

cross a possum with a lemming, job done.

if you can't say anything nice - then keep your trap shut!
Red
Supreme Loser

« Reply #112 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 09:38 am »

cross a possum with a lemming, job done.

Imagine all the Possums comitting Hari Kari Lemming style!!  Brought to you by dab
willowbridge
Supreme Mistress

La Vie Est Merde

« Reply #113 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 09:47 am »

what? it's got to be better than poisoning or trapping the poor litle buggers, at least it would be their choice to top themselves, anyway, i try not to dwell on it cos you know my thoughts on killing things, life is s**t enough at the moment without worrying about things i can't change.

Brain
Buzzard

« Reply #114 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 10:43 am »

well hopefully the 1080 situation will change
Red
Supreme Loser

« Reply #115 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 10:57 am »

It's unlikely.
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #116 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 11:00 am »

I think that's a pretty rude post, considering this thread wasn't even started by you.

Do you really think that its okay to poison by default species of native animals on the endagered list, which I believe I've heard that Maori are also working hard to save? the kiwi.

I can hear the raven sing .... a spiritual glow envelops, medicine power develops ... as the raven sings.
willowbridge
Supreme Mistress

La Vie Est Merde

« Reply #117 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 11:03 am »

i'm just glad we don't spray poison here, have you had any bee losses over there? it's big news here at the moment as thousands of our honey bees are dying for no apparent reason, i took a customer's dog a walk last week and there was a flowering shrub with lots of bees on it, however, on the floor there were about 30-40 dead or dying ones, it was really bizarre and very sad.

Brain
Buzzard

« Reply #118 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 11:21 am »

as far as i know we are ok, veroa mite is about the only problem with bees here i think
Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #119 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 11:22 am »

i'm just glad we don't spray poison here, have you had any bee losses over there? it's big news here at the moment as thousands of our honey bees are dying for no apparent reason, i took a customer's dog a walk last week and there was a flowering shrub with lots of bees on it, however, on the floor there were about 30-40 dead or dying ones, it was really bizarre and very sad.

more than sad

I read somewhere if all the bees die it'll be about 4 years before humans starve to death

eek

PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #120 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 11:36 am »

yeah, watch Bee Movie 

I remember someone talking about the bees dying in serious numbers in California about 14 years ago  eek

I can hear the raven sing .... a spiritual glow envelops, medicine power develops ... as the raven sings.
willowbridge
Supreme Mistress

La Vie Est Merde

« Reply #121 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 11:40 am »

10 years if you are a fat yank    seriously though, it's very worrying, my apple and plum trees have done nothing this year, hardly any bees, there was a report that all the mobile phone signals could be messing up the way they find find themselves back to the hives, plus they are bein infected with a mite that has come from europe that is giving them all a virus.

PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #122 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 11:44 am »

as JJ mentioned, we've had the mite thing. procedures were put into place pretty quickly to stop the spread of it - I guess MAF has its uses after all  eek

Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #123 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 11:53 am »

not had, have Raven
They couldn't stop the spread.

lullacry
>> Canned <<

« Reply #124 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 12:04 pm »

I think that's a pretty rude post, considering this thread wasn't even started by you.

Do you really think that its okay to poison by default species of native animals on the endagered list, which I believe I've heard that Maori are also working hard to save? the kiwi.

No i dont and if you read what i said in this thread earlier you'd know that already 
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #125 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 12:37 pm »

if you read what i said in this thread earlier you'd know that already 

afraid I've pretty much given up reading most of the posts as they're more of a monologue than a real debate or discussion. I'm really not sure why you're here as you keep getting the same results, as you've stated, from every site you try this at - so therefore you have your answers but they're just not what you'd like to hear, and yet you continue to try and hammer the same subjects at people.

perhaps whats partly at fault is your technique? if you really do want people to be genuinely interested in your cause you obviously need to change something about how you go about things.

IceQueen
Buzzard

« Reply #126 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 12:46 pm »

Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #127 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 01:03 pm »

Brought to you by dab                       

k

IceQueen
Buzzard

« Reply #128 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 01:13 pm »

lullacry
>> Canned <<

« Reply #129 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 01:32 pm »

if you read what i said in this thread earlier you'd know that already 

afraid I've pretty much given up reading most of the posts as they're more of a monologue than a real debate or discussion. I'm really not sure why you're here as you keep getting the same results, as you've stated, from every site you try this at - so therefore you have your answers but they're just not what you'd like to hear, and yet you continue to try and hammer the same subjects at people.

perhaps whats partly at fault is your technique? if you really do want people to be genuinely interested in your cause you obviously need to change something about how you go about things.

thats not why im here, and its ok, i nearly have all the info i came for
The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #130 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 01:36 pm »

So THAT'S where my wallet went!!! eek

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

lullacry
>> Canned <<

« Reply #131 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 03:20 pm »

yep, i'll have that too
Red
Supreme Loser

« Reply #132 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 03:22 pm »

The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #133 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 04:03 pm »

blardy national treasures!! eek

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

lullacry
>> Canned <<

« Reply #134 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 08:43 pm »

well collie, our options are looking slim. trapping, on the level needed, wont be efficient enough. they use dogs in ozzie in some parts, but possums graze in trees so theres not much incentive there. hunting is just as efficient as trapping in large areas, has been proven to work yes, but that was in the early 90s when the lil mongrels didnt have TB. theres always breeding control, but thats for clean pests, not TB contagious carriers. fencing was another choice - but for obvious reasons would be more problematic

you probably knew all that, but just in case you didnt...
Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #135 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 08:54 pm »

I'm listening.  well done 

but what makes you think hunting in its various forms won't be efficient enough?

lullacry
>> Canned <<

« Reply #136 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 09:04 pm »

I'm listening.  well done 

but what makes you think hunting in its various forms won't be efficient enough?

from what im told its expensive and problematic to find the number of reliable hunters needed.
lullacry
>> Canned <<

« Reply #137 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 09:10 pm »

add that to the amount of area needing to be covered  eek
lullacry
>> Canned <<

« Reply #138 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 09:11 pm »

and it takes about 2 years to get the population down enough to cause a decent amount of time before they increase in population again
Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #139 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 10:08 pm »

you probably dont know but a possum will range up to 30 kms per night to get its evening meal.
Possums also come down from the trees and eat grass as well, a lot of it.  That is why they are a problem as far as transferring TB to cattle (vicious little buggers they are too.
But they will rather sit in their nest and go hungry on a wet night.... hunters prefer to stay home on wet nights too.

If the no 1 reason for killing them off is to stop them ruining the countries livelihood from the TB threat then hunters will clean out that 30km radius nearest to farming areas very quickly... no longer a problem.

if no 2 problem is that they are decimating the forests and killing the birds habitats and therefor the birds by default ( also by raiding nests of baby birds and eating them) if it takes two years to drop the levels down to a sustainable level then as no1 problem is being curtailed it really doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things - mother nature works on a completely different time line to us.

Also in that time multimillion dollar returning  private businesses would be being expanded in possum fur / skin products industry, one that is already thriving and begging to increase which would be so easily done with the help of a bounty system from the government (like in the 90's or when ever it was), which could easily be capped at the level of spending already being done but instead of being dead money it would return so much in taxes etc by those businesses.

Win / Win. (but not from the possums point of view)
It would not wipe out possums completely but they know they will never do that using 1080 either.
« Last Edit: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 10:11 pm by Jammedfigs » Logged

lullacry
>> Canned <<

« Reply #140 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 10:37 pm »

you probably dont know but a possum will range up to 30 kms per night to get its evening meal.
Possums also come down from the trees and eat grass as well, a lot of it.  That is why they are a problem as far as transferring TB to cattle (vicious little buggers they are too.
But they will rather sit in their nest and go hungry on a wet night.... hunters prefer to stay home on wet nights too.

If the no 1 reason for killing them off is to stop them ruining the countries livelihood from the TB threat then hunters will clean out that 30km radius nearest to farming areas very quickly... no longer a problem.

if no 2 problem is that they are decimating the forests and killing the birds habitats and therefor the birds by default ( also by raiding nests of baby birds and eating them) if it takes two years to drop the levels down to a sustainable level then as no1 problem is being curtailed it really doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things - mother nature works on a completely different time line to us.

Also in that time multimillion dollar returning  private businesses would be being expanded in possum fur / skin products industry, one that is already thriving and begging to increase which would be so easily done with the help of a bounty system from the government (like in the 90's or when ever it was), which could easily be capped at the level of spending already being done but instead of being dead money it would return so much in taxes etc by those businesses.

Win / Win. (but not from the possums point of view)
It would not wipe out possums completely but they know they will never do that using 1080 either.

i can see what you're saying, do you know what the hunting success rate is? it was 80% in the north over 10 years ago. how much do hunters cost? how many will the country need? and for how long? are most areas accessible for them to hunt? eek

Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #141 on: Wed 2 September, 2009 - 11:23 pm »

the hunters would earn their keep by the amount of possums they caught, and while some would make it their living, others would do it for fun and pocket money.

not all areas are overly accessible but it is not about eradication, but control and the possums would take themselves eventually to the hunter, it would create a balance.
Where they are not accessible, there is not the problem with TB infection to cattle nor farmed deer either.

To start with there would be many who would take advantage of the bountry system, but as the hunting got harder, the hunters that did it for fun would fall by the way side, leaving the hard core to maintain the status.

Like posioning with 1080 it would be an ongoing thing but environmentally friendly.

and of course it is all easier said than done, with plenty of hick ups & headaches to iron out - but that is something that the proper homework would pick up on and sort out.

Feel free to pick up the idea and work on it.

willowbridge
Supreme Mistress

La Vie Est Merde

« Reply #142 on: Thu 3 September, 2009 - 08:48 am »

covers eyes and refuses to read this murderous thread any further, possum killers!

The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #143 on: Thu 3 September, 2009 - 08:49 am »

Possums are killing all our trees eek

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #144 on: Thu 3 September, 2009 - 08:52 am »

covers eyes and refuses to read this murderous thread any further, possum killers!

Vermin. Tree rats. Nature's little speed bumps.

The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #145 on: Thu 3 September, 2009 - 08:53 am »

Nature's little speed bumps.
That's Chinese people in Queen Street

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #146 on: Thu 3 September, 2009 - 09:04 am »

Or samoans in Otara........ Only reason we don't run over mor Samoans is that the sofas get stuck in our wheel arches.

willowbridge
Supreme Mistress

La Vie Est Merde

« Reply #147 on: Thu 3 September, 2009 - 09:09 am »

you are all just sick and twisted, poor little possums, though i did have to laugh at nature's little speed bumps, we have the same problem here with pakistanis, but if we got rid of them all we wouldn't have any shops left open.

Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #148 on: Thu 3 September, 2009 - 09:12 am »

I heard that the reason that Pakistan has never won the soccer World Cup is that every time they get a corner, they open a shop on it........

willowbridge
Supreme Mistress

La Vie Est Merde

« Reply #149 on: Thu 3 September, 2009 - 09:24 am »

there are 134 shops in my town, 122 are owned and run by pakistanis, you could close your eyes and imagine you are in
Islamabad.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length