Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Fri 15 December, 2017 - 09:47 am
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: Questions & Answers

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Mass Debating Chamber
| | |-+  High Speed Tragedy
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: High Speed Tragedy  (Read 1208 times)
Lux
Supreme Loser

« on: Fri 23 January, 2009 - 11:22 pm »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4827794a11.html

A teenaged courier driver was shot and killed in Auckland and another man wounded after a high-speed police chase, set off by a simple bag snatch in the west of the city.

In a confusing climax on the lanes of the north western motorway near Western Springs and Auckland Zoo, events ended as police vehicles surrounded a stopped white van and a light truck.

The offender, armed with a sawn-off .22 rifle and captured at the scene, had apparently tried to commandeer one or both vehicles at gunpoint.

The violence ended in a shootout and the death of Halatau Kianamanu Naitoko, a 17 year old courier driver from Mangere.

Police, who named the dead man late tonight, did not identify the wounded man.

At a press conference held this afternoon, Auckland City District commander, Superintendent George Fraser said it was unclear who had fired the fatal shots, raising the prospect it was the police themselves.

"While we are aware that several shots were fired throughout the hour or so from shortly after 1pm, we do not know who fired the fatal shot."

"This is an absolute tragedy for the family of the dead man and, for that matter, the numerous members of public and Police who were drawn into it," Mr Fraser said.

He said the Independent Police Conduct Authority had been advised.

The whole bloody drama began with a handbag snatch in Glengarry Rd in West Auckland. From there, the armed offender drove off, but then abandoned his car, fled for a while on foot, before getting into another car and continuing his flight.

The high speed chase – believed to have reached speeds over 120 kmh – went through busy streets in Sandringham including Great North Rd, before turning onto the North Western Motorway.

The offender pulled his car sideways across the motorway then jumped the median barrier and appeared to try to hijack another vehicle. This is when the shootings took place.

"Shots were fired by police in response to the armed incident unfolding on the flat bed of the truck," Mr Fraser said.

"This is an absolute tragedy for the family of the dead man and, for that matter, the numerous members of public and Police who were drawn into it," Mr Fraser said.

One man is in custody after being arrested at the motorway scene by Armed Offenders Squad members. Police recovered a sawn-off .22 rifle at the scene. The offender was known to police.

Another motorist, the driver of a light truck, was injured in the shoot out. He has been taken to hospital with non-serious injuries.

The pursuit began in Glen Eden at about 1.08pm after the driver of a car pointed a gun at an officer who attempted to stop him.

Police said it became increasingly dangerous to civilians and police as shots were fired by the offender as he travelled through New Lynn, Avondale, Kingsland, Ponsonby and Grey Lynn before getting onto the North Western Motorway.

Police said they initiated a "moving barricade" in order to put a safety buffer between the man and members of the public.

However, Mr Fraser said this was where the events took a tragic turn at this point as the man attempted to take the vehicle being driven by the shooting victim.

Police said many witnesses were helping police with their inquiries.

Fairfax employee Vicki Odell saw part of the dramatic car chase, including when the offender abandoned his vehicle and fled on foot.

Ms Odell was driving from the North Shore when she saw "loads and loads" of police taking up the whole motorway heading Westbound in pursuit of the man.

She estimated there were six to eight police cars: "There was just flashing lights everywhere," she said.

She thought the man was the sole occupant of the vehicle which had been "severely beaten - like 'I can't believe its still going and he was zig zagging all over the motorway", she said.

"I saw his door open and it seemed like he must have hesitated cos his door was open for a while and then next thing I saw the car do a hard turn to the left and he got out of the car, ran over the median barrier and crossed the other side of the road," she said.

At least three shots were reportedly fired.

The police armed offenders squad was involved.

NZPA reporter Rachel Pinder said after the shooting the dead man was lying in the back of a white van before police covered him with a tarpaulin, as scores of people watched from the side of the motorway.

"I can see 10 police vehicles and some had been damaged from the pursuit," she said.

"The residents who watched from the side of the motorway were showing a mixture of excitement, shock and curiosity."

The motorway was clear of vehicles except for the van containing the man's body, a car in front, another van alongside, and many police vehicles.

Police helicopter Eagle hovered overhead.

Several witnesses said they heard the shots which killed the man.

Kingsland residents Mark and Nick, who did not want to give their last names, saw part of the incident while sitting on the deck of their Fourth Ave property.

They heard three or four shots followed by "an array of sirens" as the police chase sped by on the motorway, with the police helicopter coming in close.

"I've never seen the helicopter so low," said Nick.

One of the vans had its rear window smashed.

Firefighters were at the scene.

Ambulance officers confirmed they had been called but said they had not taken anyone to hospital.

The motorway was expected to be closed for several hours, causing serious disruption to motorists trying to leave the city for the long holiday weekend.

Monday is Auckland Anniversary Day. Police are urging all traffic are urged to take alternative routes.

Police were expected to release details of the shooting this evening.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At what point should Police discontinue a pursuit? Are they able to recognise when the pursuit of an offender can cause peril and loss of life to innocent bystanders?

Obi Wan Kanobi said. "I have never seen such a wretched hive of scum and villainy." Little did Obi Wan realize he was describing the National party.
The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #1 on: Sat 24 January, 2009 - 01:57 am »

Police CAN'T let it be known their threshold for discontinuing pursuits, or eejits will try and reach that threshold just to escape and try and evade arrest. Occasionally there will be tragedy and loss of life, but IMO the Police STILL have to do their utmost to catch these people. When there IS tragedy, it's the offender's fault, not the Police, who are trying to protect us

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Coach
Supreme Loser

internet grinch since 1998

« Reply #2 on: Sat 24 January, 2009 - 05:26 am »

The offender was armed, and known to police.

We must trust their judgement that based on the information that they had at the time it was neccesary to pursue him and stop him by whatever means neccesary.

Bearing in mind that they knew the offender, if they had not pursued him and he went on to commit further violent crime, the arrmchair critics would be blaming the police again.

The cops are hard pressed enough for manpower and resources, they don't  respond with a dozen patrol cars, a helicopter and armed officers for every tinpot bag snatcher. It's obvious that they knew the offender well enough to make the call.

This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype.
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #3 on: Sat 24 January, 2009 - 09:46 am »

sounds like the f**kwit thought he was in some hollywood movie!

how awful for the wasted life and his family who have to continue on 

I can hear the raven sing .... a spiritual glow envelops, medicine power develops ... as the raven sings.
IceQueen
Buzzard

« Reply #4 on: Sat 24 January, 2009 - 10:44 am »

I certainly wouldn't want to make a decision like that. Chase the bastard and risk life or let him go and risk life. Either way, not good.  eek

BUT based on what the newspaper has said, my choice would be to let the prick go (it's just a handbag after all) BUT BUT BUT as Fat Gerry said, he was known to police and it's gotta be damn serious for all those resources to be used in catching him.
bytey
Supreme Loser

« Reply #5 on: Sat 24 January, 2009 - 11:15 am »

I would have let him go, like scoobs said. Just a handbag.

If he is known to police they could have organised to pick him up later in a less dangerous fashion.
Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #6 on: Sun 25 January, 2009 - 01:28 am »

That's exactly what they did..........They drove to his house and attempted to apprehend him. He fled the scene again, but not before the officers had spotted the sawn off rifle in the front of his car.

There's a lot of ground to be covered before any conclusions can be drawn from this incident.

The one thing that strikes me is that our police do not have a great deal of experience in armed standoffs. And for that, I am glad. If you really want every cop in your neighborhood to be fully experienced in this kind of situation, move to Detroit.

This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype.
Cluzzfumble Footwad
Supreme Loser

« Reply #7 on: Sun 25 January, 2009 - 11:13 am »

If he is known to police they could have organised to pick him up later in a less dangerous fashion.

But he had a gun and was using it to threaten people  eek
IceQueen
Buzzard

« Reply #8 on: Sun 25 January, 2009 - 11:49 am »

Just read today that he stole a car (the one he crashed on the motorway) using the gun too. So there's more and more to this story that's slowly being made public.
♥ poppy ♥
Supreme Loser

« Reply #9 on: Sun 25 January, 2009 - 01:10 pm »

That's the norm' scoober

And we will never get the 'full' story

(unless the cops sisters brothers daughters aunty....comes on and tells us in Tm gen') 
Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #10 on: Mon 26 January, 2009 - 09:31 am »

This is the first ever case of an innocent bystander being accidentally shot dead by police in NZ. That says a hell of a lot about the accuracy and restraint showed by our armed officers.

There will be a full investigation, and as is always the case in this country, those who disagree with its findings will  be given every opportunity to challenge them. I'm going to retain my faith in the police force, based on what I have seen in the 20 years that I have been here. If it later transpires that an individual officer overstepped his authority, or acted without due care, I will not blame the police force as a whole. At the end of the day, the person most responsible for the death of this unlucky individual has to be the nutter with the gun that the cops were trying so hard to protect us from.

bytey
Supreme Loser

« Reply #11 on: Tue 27 January, 2009 - 08:15 pm »

But he had a gun and was using it to threaten people  eek
hmmmm he was threatening people.....

But yet he wasnt the one to kill someone.

Dunno, just not sure if it was worth it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length