Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Thu 19 October, 2017 - 04:37 pm
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: Questions & Answers

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Mass Debating Chamber
| | |-+  The economic stimulus package
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The economic stimulus package  (Read 939 times)
Coach
Supreme Loser

internet grinch since 1998

« on: Wed 11 February, 2009 - 08:56 am »

If John Key had announced that the Kopu Bridge at Thames was the big ticket item in his grand plan, would he have been taken seriously?

Sure, the Kopu bridge needs replacing. The transit authorities have known it for years, and had the job already scheduled before Key even started campaigning. But is it someth ing that springs to mind when 'major infrastructure' is discussed?
Sorry, but the reason it has taken so long to replace that one is that other than the silly season, it gets bugger all use.

It would be nice to have a wider bridge for those special occasions, but the reality is that during the lemming season, the whole road from State Highway One to the Coromandel is a bottleneck. Building a two lane bridge at Kopu will ease the symptoms, but there's no solution to Aucklanders' holiday habits.

This country deserves something more significant if John Key is going to honour his promises.

This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype.
spanky
Supreme Loser

« Reply #1 on: Wed 11 February, 2009 - 12:58 pm »

OH ok mayb he should just offer half of auckland an incentive to move to dunedin and balance the country then... eek

Let them have blocked roads and bottleneck every holiday weekend as well....

sharing the love so to speak.

PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #2 on: Wed 11 February, 2009 - 03:26 pm »

Should the whole country be made to contribute towards a localised problem?

We see it again and again, and are asked to contribute toward things we often don't or barely use as its not within our personal lifestyles.

I heard on the radio a 'discussion' is going on about the stadium at Dunedin - whether it should have a roof or not 

I can hear the raven sing .... a spiritual glow envelops, medicine power develops ... as the raven sings.
spanky
Supreme Loser

« Reply #3 on: Thu 12 February, 2009 - 06:52 am »

Should the whole country be made to contribute towards a localised problem?

We see it again and again, and are asked to contribute toward things we often don't or barely use as its not within our personal lifestyles.

I heard on the radio a 'discussion' is going on about the stadium at Dunedin - whether it should have a roof or not 

That stadium is the main reason we chose to sell up and leave Dunedin. It was just the nail in the coffin.

After the 500 000 for the chinese garden AND THE 200 000 annual upkeep (yes I believe it is beautiful) but an amenity that was very easy to live without. Contributed to a large rates increase and yet "processed" sewage still pumped into the local swimming beaches resulting in closeures on a regular basis at least 1 day a week with water testing levels running a day behind when the bacteria levels are taken.

And now a stadium thats not needed either. With another huge rates increase. I even tho I live here paid to join the protest group simply cos They dont need it. Some dick on tv saying last night it will create jobs???

For who?? They dont have the skill levels for tyhat job and have been running a tender process thru arrow international for over a year...myu understanding is you dont go to tender till its a done deal and they tendering off shore as well it most likely wont create local jobs as the employment skill will be from out of the area.

Its certainly hotting up with coverage on breakfast this morning.
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #4 on: Thu 12 February, 2009 - 07:49 am »

and isn't it just a construction thing? so its not going to create permanent jobs. 

I think I've seen taxpayer problems with EVERY stadium upgraded around the country. This should definitely be a case of user pays!!!

I can hear the raven sing .... a spiritual glow envelops, medicine power develops ... as the raven sings.
Red
Supreme Loser

« Reply #5 on: Thu 12 February, 2009 - 08:04 am »

If John Key had announced that the Kopu Bridge at Thames was the big ticket item in his grand plan, would he have been taken seriously?

Sure, the Kopu bridge needs replacing. The transit authorities have known it for years, and had the job already scheduled before Key even started campaigning. But is it someth ing that springs to mind when 'major infrastructure' is discussed?
Sorry, but the reason it has taken so long to replace that one is that other than the silly season, it gets bugger all use.
It would be nice to have a wider bridge for those special occasions, but the reality is that during the lemming season, the whole road from State Highway One to the Coromandel is a bottleneck. Building a two lane bridge at Kopu will ease the symptoms, but there's no solution to Aucklanders' holiday habits.

This country deserves something more significant if John Key is going to honour his promises.

You obviously don't live in the Coromandel.
Bored
Supreme Master

It's not just a river in Egypt

« Reply #6 on: Thu 12 February, 2009 - 04:53 pm »

construction has a huge impact on the economy. it's a significant driver to gdp growth. it creates jobs throughout the sector - not just in construction. of course some of them are lawyers and policy advisors and government officials, but some of them are people!

infrastructure makes it easier for people to move goods and themselves creating more opportunities to buy and sell, and attracting more people to visit and live in nz.

Free stuff - go on ya know ya want it
Red
Supreme Loser

« Reply #7 on: Fri 13 February, 2009 - 07:37 am »

^^ thats right. All them big words what she said.^^ 

Bored
Supreme Master

It's not just a river in Egypt

« Reply #8 on: Fri 13 February, 2009 - 12:40 pm »

^^ thats right. All them big words what she said.^^ 

Free stuff - go on ya know ya want it
Coach
Supreme Loser

internet grinch since 1998

« Reply #9 on: Sat 14 February, 2009 - 03:56 am »

That would correct. Very few people do. That could be why the bridge gets bugger all use.

This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype.
Red
Supreme Loser

« Reply #10 on: Sat 14 February, 2009 - 08:40 am »

That would correct. Very few people do. That could be why the bridge gets bugger all use.

There may not be many of us here, but we're all good :c**t: s

Will be great though,it will be a big employment boost for a while here. 
« Last Edit: Sat 14 February, 2009 - 08:41 am by Red » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length