Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Tue 24 October, 2017 - 08:39 pm
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: The Rules - updated 23/01/2012

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Mass Debating Chamber
| | |-+  Is smacking an acceptable form of punishment for kids?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Is smacking an acceptable form of punishment for kids?
Yes, it's the parent's right to discipline a child as they see fit.   -2 (25%)
Yes, but with only when all other methods fail.   -1 (12.5%)
yes, if they are endangering themselves.   -5 (62.5%)
Not sure.   -0 (0%)
No. It is never acceptable.   -0 (0%)
IDGAF.   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: Is smacking an acceptable form of punishment for kids?  (Read 967 times)
Red
Supreme Loser

« on: Tue 16 June, 2009 - 04:06 pm »

Would be interesting to get an idea from a cross section of our members here. 
Red
Supreme Loser

« Reply #1 on: Tue 16 June, 2009 - 04:09 pm »

I know, I know..............

But i was bored ok? 
Cluzzfumble Footwad
Supreme Loser

« Reply #2 on: Tue 16 June, 2009 - 04:16 pm »

I voted, but semi-reluctantly.  I don't have kids and think it's one of those things you can have an opinion on, but when you're in a position to have to actually decide, things might change
Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #3 on: Tue 16 June, 2009 - 04:20 pm »

a 'good' smack on the rump or hand etc as a short sharp reminder does no harm... it possibly would if used for every little thing a child does wrong or used as a teaching method

more likely lose its effectiveness.

Sometimes a quick smack can be less damaging than psychologically punishing a child to get them toeing your line.

and sometimes a child just doesn't have the mental capacity to understand the real reason why not to do something but they do understand if they do a certain something they will get smacked, dont like being smacked, if they manage to think ahead about what they are doing, they might just not do it.

The anti smacking law is an ass because it doesnt address what it was supposed to - that being beating a kid to death. A smack is a far cry from that.

Though I remember my mother telling me I was ruining my child when as a baby he wouldn't stay still for his nappy change - was wriggling around and my mother told me to smack his bare butt, make it sting to give him something to think about - I refused.  
apparently any naughtiness from then til now has been a result of my not being firm enough then.   eek

except he doesn't do anything naughty  

that I know of  eek

The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.
Red
Supreme Loser

« Reply #4 on: Tue 16 June, 2009 - 04:35 pm »

I voted, but semi-reluctantly.  I don't have kids and think it's one of those things you can have an opinion on, but when you're in a position to have to actually decide, things might change

What do you think about Corporal punishment in Schools? Some of us "older members" remember it. Can't remember it doing us any harm.
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #5 on: Tue 16 June, 2009 - 04:42 pm »

*voted* , and I'd like to say that I mean smacking as in a small warning smack, not a beating

a 'good' smack on the rump or hand etc as a short sharp reminder does no harm... it possibly would if used for every little thing a child does wrong or used as a teaching method

more likely lose its effectiveness.

Sometimes a quick smack can be less damaging than psychologically punishing a child to get them toeing your line.

and sometimes a child just doesn't have the mental capacity to understand the real reason why not to do something but they do understand if they do a certain something they will get smacked, dont like being smacked, if they manage to think ahead about what they are doing, they might just not do it.

The anti smacking law is an ass because it doesnt address what it was supposed to - that being beating a kid to death. A smack is a far cry from that.

Though I remember my mother telling me I was ruining my child when as a baby he wouldn't stay still for his nappy change - was wriggling around and my mother told me to smack his bare butt, make it sting to give him something to think about - I refused.  
apparently any naughtiness from then til now has been a result of my not being firm enough then.   eek

except he doesn't do anything naughty  

that I know of  eek

Not cool smacking little bubbas tho eh, good for you
IceQueen
Buzzard

« Reply #6 on: Tue 16 June, 2009 - 05:15 pm »

Well I'm not entirely sure which to vote for to be honest

And like you Collie, my mother was shocked that I wouldn't lay a hand on my baby.

It wasn't until around the age of 2/3 on average that any of my children got a smack (and I'm talking a little smack on the arse or back of hand) after all other 'reasoning' methods were exhausted.

Like the time when Miss 4 (who would've been 2 at the time) decided that it would a great game to refuse to hold onto mummy's hand and run away out onto the road into the path of an oncoming car which stopped with the front tyre just 1inch short of her face and still thinking it was a great game. she laughed. She was promptly pulled onto the path and given a good smack on the backside for that one     And shock horror! I bought a child's lead as a result  eek 
Red
Supreme Loser

« Reply #7 on: Tue 16 June, 2009 - 05:21 pm »

I remember a couple of years ago, I was at my ex wife's place, and my oldest girl who was 14 at the time was giving her mother a yard of lip and she wouldn't stop. Some of it was real disrespectful. As she walked past me, still going on at her mother, I stood up and booted her fair in the backside. She put on a hell of a performance and you would have thought that I had tried strangling her or something. It was only a little tap, but was that too harsh or was I within my rights?
The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #8 on: Tue 16 June, 2009 - 05:45 pm »

I think parents should have the right to raise their kids the way they see fit.

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Cluzzfumble Footwad
Supreme Loser

« Reply #9 on: Tue 16 June, 2009 - 06:11 pm »

What do you think about Corporal punishment in Schools? Some of us "older members" remember it. Can't remember it doing us any harm.

I couldn't do it... I wasn't brought up with it and it just doesn't figure in my mentality.  I wouldn't consider myself to be doing a good job if I needed to beat a kid into submission.  It is frustrating though.  Kids today really do expect you to entertain them, not just teach them.  Mostly I'm used to it, but sometimes it's just like arrghhhh... give me a break!
And we are realistically very limited in what power we have... it's all an illusion based on respect.
IceQueen
Buzzard

« Reply #10 on: Tue 16 June, 2009 - 06:15 pm »

I don't like the idea of someone else laying hands on my kids for any reason. It's the parent's job to discipline. Not the teachers.

So totally against corporal punishment at school. Wasn't that abolished because some teachers took things way too far? Kids with broken knuckles from metal rulers, kids being dragged by the hair across the classroom...

I also remember the boys I knew way back in the high school days, bragging about how many lashes they got that day. It was a joke and a competition to them. Didn't work at all.   
« Last Edit: Tue 16 June, 2009 - 06:18 pm by scoobs » Logged
The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #11 on: Tue 16 June, 2009 - 07:10 pm »

I don't think corp. punishment in schools is good - I was caned and strapped lots. But in the home I think parents should have freedom within certain bounds

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Coach
Supreme Loser

internet grinch since 1998

« Reply #12 on: Tue 16 June, 2009 - 07:52 pm »

I remember a couple of years ago, I was at my ex wife's place, and my oldest girl who was 14 at the time was giving her mother a yard of lip and she wouldn't stop. Some of it was real disrespectful. As she walked past me, still going on at her mother, I stood up and booted her fair in the backside. She put on a hell of a performance and you would have thought that I had tried strangling her or something. It was only a little tap, but was that too harsh or was I within my rights?

Exactly the same scenario that occured with a family member here. She told the school counsellor the next morning.

The next afternoon, a small convoy turned up at his house. Because he has a firearms licence and collects handguns, armed police were in attendance. He was arrested and taken to the cells. The 4 children were removed to social welfare care. He was told that if he pleaded guilty to assault, he would get diversion. The b***h from Child welfare told him that if he didn't plead guilty, his children would not be returned.

He copped the plea. The b***h from child welfare  took the children away -on the strength of his conviction.

The parents were told that the kids could only be returned home if the father moved out and stayed away from the house. As he is a dairy farmer, that was not even remotely possible. The kids ended up living at their grandmothers house, 20 minutes down the road.

It took us, his extended family, several family group conferences to convince the b***h that J. was a great father and no threat to his kids. The b***h did everything she could to delay and frustrate our efforts to get the kids back home.

He still has not re-applied for his firearms licence. The police destroyed his gun collection.

All for a single boot up the backside.

Regardless of what you feel your rights as a parent are, I urge you never to risk it again.

This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length