Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Sat 21 October, 2017 - 08:49 am
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: Swear Filters

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Mass Debating Chamber
| | |-+  Ethics and morals of Journalism
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ethics and morals of Journalism  (Read 1208 times)
IceQueen
Buzzard

« on: Fri 14 August, 2009 - 01:52 pm »

Years ago, there were unwritten moral rules within the journalism world. The moral boundaries seem to have moved drastically since around 2000 or disappeared altogether. Should the old morals become ethics or written rules to get things back under control? Or are you happy with the way things are.

I personally think it's stink that the news can show dead bodies as a result of an accident or tragedy as it unfolds (like people jumping to their deaths from the towers and people drowning and dying before our very eyes in a tsunami) or whatever before the next of kin had been told. Journalists seem to have lost all empathy/morals for individuals and it's all about who can get that story out first.

Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #1 on: Fri 14 August, 2009 - 01:54 pm »

it's all about ratings - who can get the most viewers and you have to admit seeing shocking things pulls them in.

The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #2 on: Fri 14 August, 2009 - 01:56 pm »

I think they absolutely have stepped over the line as far as bad jounalism and sensationalism goes.

It seems to be more about what the public are thirsting for and getting $ from sponsors rather than important newsworthy facts.

But on the other hand, isn't it the fault of the public to be seeking this more tastless type of media?

I can hear the raven sing .... a spiritual glow envelops, medicine power develops ... as the raven sings.
IceQueen
Buzzard

« Reply #3 on: Fri 14 August, 2009 - 01:57 pm »

Yup agree. I guess that brings the other end of the discussion to the fore... Do you think the morbid masses should be controlled with what they view for the sake of individual families who are suffering because of their personal loss?

Where is the line drawn here?
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #4 on: Fri 14 August, 2009 - 01:59 pm »

It's hard to know just where the moral line should be drawn - varies from situation to situation IMO.

but as to wrapping families and victims in cotton wool - something bad is going to be happening somewhere to someone at any time - so do we show nothing ever?
and if something has happened, I would be picking they would not be watching a tv show during their time 

I can hear the raven sing .... a spiritual glow envelops, medicine power develops ... as the raven sings.
IceQueen
Buzzard

« Reply #5 on: Fri 14 August, 2009 - 02:08 pm »

I wouldn't call it wrapping them in cotton wool. I'd call it respecting their privacy. For example, hunting down parents, friends and family of people who have committed a major crime to 'get the story' is taking things way too far. All the general public need to know is about the crime and criminal itself, nothing else.

Another example. The guy that saved that girls life in Auckland and got stabbed for it, the tv crew showed his brother screaming down the street feeling raw emotion. There was no need for us to see that. By the time I registered what was going on on tv, it was too late to turn it off or change channel because I'd already seen it.

Then there were the pictures of people actually drowning in that tsunami and the guy jumping from the towers. Once again, too late to change channel or turn it off.

So maybe the media need to have some more warnings on before they show this stuff? Give us a chance to decide for ourselves what we want to see and what we don't?
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #6 on: Fri 14 August, 2009 - 02:29 pm »

sorry, I didn't realise that was the angle you meant. I thought it was about pulling off tv programmes that were a bit sensitive for the victims.

Coach
Supreme Loser

internet grinch since 1998

« Reply #7 on: Sat 15 August, 2009 - 07:30 am »

You only have to go to www.stuff.co.nz and look at the 'most popular' column to see what mindless drivel is the news of choice for online readers. It doesn't help that one company owns most of the newspapers either.

This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length