Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Fri 15 December, 2017 - 03:43 pm
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: Questions & Answers

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Animals, Farming and Horticulture
| | |-+  Horticulture and Gardening
| | | |-+  Fast growing evergreen shelter belt
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fast growing evergreen shelter belt  (Read 2662 times)
Re-instated Gov
Supreme Master

... off you go then. And don't forget my tea!

« on: Sun 30 August, 2009 - 03:40 pm »

What are good recommendations for a fast growing evergreen shelter belt tree please?  Have been recommended Black Matipo as one.  All suggestions welcome.  Thank you oh wise ones   
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #1 on: Sun 30 August, 2009 - 04:03 pm »

I would say it depends on whether there will be stock able to get to it or not also - as evergreens like Macrocarpa can cause abortion in cows

Flax is used down here, but you probably want taller? 

are there any tree-growers around your way who supply farms? they'd have a good list.

or maybe break up the line with a variety?

how ya doing anyhoo? hows HIMSELF? 

I can hear the raven sing .... a spiritual glow envelops, medicine power develops ... as the raven sings.
Re-instated Gov
Supreme Master

« Reply #2 on: Sun 30 August, 2009 - 04:13 pm »

Cheers, Raven       We're not intending stock to have access to this particular paddock but if we do then the 'lecy fence will be ON     It's a shelter / fence between the house and the barn area and only about 15ft long - so not big.  We need it to help block off sou-west winds (and a bit of privacy too).  We're not so keen on the macrocarpa hedging as it can destroy the ground underneath.  We already have a huge macro hedge running along the road front.  Hence looking at pittos and the like. 

HIMSELF is not impressed with me      What a surprise      HE's gone into lock down again.  The grass has suddenly gone mad down here - you can almost see and hear it growing.  HE runs on oxygen so doesn't need fresh NZ green       So back on a track in the willow paddock with hay ad lib.  Never mind - he'll survive.

How's things with you?
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #3 on: Sun 30 August, 2009 - 04:19 pm »

not bad.

I reckon HIMSELF would make a great kids story book character 

perhaps some of that Red Robin would go well? you might have to trim it occasionally tho.

I can hear the raven sing .... a spiritual glow envelops, medicine power develops ... as the raven sings.
Re-instated Gov
Supreme Master

« Reply #4 on: Sun 30 August, 2009 - 04:26 pm »

Oh we couldn't possibly trim it, Raven      Not when HIMSELF is more than capable and, of course, starving   yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #5 on: Sun 30 August, 2009 - 04:29 pm »

so true, so true. you wouldn't want HIMSELF getting in such a huffy that HE'D leave home

Brought to you by dab @ governor of alcatraz

how's all the highland moo's? 

Re-instated Gov
Supreme Master

« Reply #6 on: Sun 30 August, 2009 - 10:51 pm »

HE'd NEVA leave home!!! Has it far too good here.  Gotta love HIM though.  HE's a gentle, gentle soul who takes life in HIS stride.

Our Highland bully is growing  so he should be able to 'party' with the 2 smaller girls later this year.  We just need to find a bigger bull (Hereford) to party with our other girls coz they're too big for Midnight   
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #7 on: Mon 31 August, 2009 - 08:50 am »

where there's a hill, there's a way 

Re-instated Gov
Supreme Master

« Reply #8 on: Mon 31 August, 2009 - 09:13 am »

Can go one better than a hill -  we have a gully!!     Just need to get the cow: to stand on the banks at the right height and angle as we'll be away laughing (so to speak  )
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #9 on: Mon 31 August, 2009 - 09:16 am »

I reckon they wouldn't need much incentive 

I (surprisingly) had foals from my Timor stallion and Kaimanawa mares  eek but we had a hill 

Re-instated Gov
Supreme Master

« Reply #10 on: Mon 31 August, 2009 - 09:24 am »

I don't reckon he'd have a problem either - now that he's had a growth spurt    I personally think he'd do the job okay.  Hubby is the one who seems to have the concern about not doing the job with the tall girls (no surprise there - he's short and so am I    )
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #11 on: Mon 31 August, 2009 - 09:39 am »

fair enough

(p.s did you find any of the high school info helpful?)

Re-instated Gov
Supreme Master

« Reply #12 on: Mon 31 August, 2009 - 09:48 am »

fair enough

(p.s did you find any of the high school info helpful?)

Still filtering through some of the stuff I found.  I'm pretty well sold on the  Boys' High but haven't totally ruled out another school either.  I just feel he'd do much better in an environment where he's allowed to be a male.  At least in Boys' High he can concentrate on being a male whilst having his education geared to how his brain works (coz it sure doesn't work like mine    )
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #13 on: Mon 31 August, 2009 - 09:53 am »

I remember *coughafewcough* years ago hearing of a study that said boys learn better in a co-ed environment, but girls settle down to study better in a single-sex school.

that might not be helpful to you 

Re-instated Gov
Supreme Master

« Reply #14 on: Mon 31 August, 2009 - 10:47 am »

I'd heard that too but after having my nephews go from single sex to co-ed - their work started to go backwards  together with their attitude etc and the boys themselves admitted to being too distracted by the 'fairer sex'!  We were most surprised but the change in environments showed in their work and attitude.  Several friends have found too, that with their sons, they have performed better (attitude, work ethic, etc) at single sex schools.

I'm reading "He'll Be Okay" by Celia Lashlie at the moment.  Good book so far   

I guess my thing really is that I feel boys are far to emasculated these days.  They need to be rough and tumble, and be allowed to have a barney   (within reason of course!).  So much of it comes down, I think, to being wrapped in cotton wool at a very young age.  If my son falls out of a tree - so be it.  He might hurt a tad, have a broken bone somewhere, but at least he's learned he's not invincible and to be more careful   
Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #15 on: Wed 9 September, 2009 - 09:54 am »

absolutely love the name Governor of Alcatraz

as for fast growing evergreen - how big do you want it to grow and for where

Camelia makes an awesome thick  hedge and grows far faster than one expects.

Then there are all the coniferous trees if you want something tall ... if you want a fairly thin one but needs trimming every year the sheoak is awesome.

lemonwood makes a great shelter belt if you want a smaller shelter belt - is easier to look after than sheoak.
...lots of choices really  even that red manuka (sorry forgotten its correct name) will trim up into a gorgeous, wind filtering hedge.
« Last Edit: Wed 9 September, 2009 - 09:55 am by Collie » Logged

The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.
Red
Supreme Loser

« Reply #16 on: Mon 28 September, 2009 - 01:20 pm »

What are good recommendations for a fast growing evergreen shelter belt tree please?  Have been recommended Black Matipo as one.  All suggestions welcome.  Thank you oh wise ones   
We planted a heap of Eucaltptus Nitens as a quick shelterbelt, after 5 years they were huge and we were cutting them for Firewood.
Red
Supreme Loser

« Reply #17 on: Mon 28 September, 2009 - 01:29 pm »

*Eucalyptus
cruzmode

« Reply #18 on: Sat 19 December, 2009 - 10:43 am »

japanese ceder is an excellent plant for shelter belts         
Red
Supreme Loser

« Reply #19 on: Sat 19 December, 2009 - 12:11 pm »

When i built my last House here, I planted a mixture of Pittosporum Tenufolium, Crassifolium and Akeake's. They grew from Root trainer size to 6 feet in about 18 months and it made a fairly thick shelterbelt.
Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #20 on: Sat 19 December, 2009 - 02:05 pm »

pretty too!

japanese ceder is an excellent plant for shelter belts        

good point.
« Last Edit: Sat 19 December, 2009 - 02:06 pm by WhizElf » Logged

The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length