Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Sun 22 October, 2017 - 03:12 am
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: Adding YouTube Clips

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  The Lab (Moderator: Stu)
| | |-+  Can opening an email infect my pc with a virus?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can opening an email infect my pc with a virus?  (Read 1572 times)
Bored
Supreme Master

It's not just a river in Egypt

« on: Fri 23 April, 2010 - 09:41 am »

A friend had her hotmail account hacked. The hack sent me an email from her account that looked like a reply to my email.

It said some b.s. about selling me electronic gear and TVs etc. I didn't click the website link and there were no attachments. I didn't see anything download to my PC. today I have a virus exploit on my PC so I wonder if it came from that bogus email????

It's a really nasty exploit and has a keystroke tracker. I hope that AVG (free) will be able to get rid of it. I may have to download norton to get rid of it as I'm not hopeful. I'm watching the log as it checks and so far it hasn't listed a keystroke tracker in the infected files.

Free stuff - go on ya know ya want it
Jericho
Supreme Mistress

i know nuffink

« Reply #1 on: Fri 23 April, 2010 - 10:14 am »

ummmmm whats a keystroke tracker? and how do u know if you have one or not? 

The definition of insanity is repeating the same process over and over and expecting the outcome to suddenly be different.
Brain
Buzzard

« Reply #2 on: Fri 23 April, 2010 - 10:17 am »

download and run malwarebytes as well
Butterfly Angel
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #3 on: Fri 23 April, 2010 - 11:24 am »

spybot search and destroy is an excellent tool for killing keyloggers!
The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #4 on: Fri 23 April, 2010 - 11:26 am »

open THIS

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Butterfly Angel
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #5 on: Fri 23 April, 2010 - 11:28 am »

sorry, I dont like chocolate flavored mega muffins. eek
The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #6 on: Fri 23 April, 2010 - 11:33 am »

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Bored
Supreme Master

« Reply #7 on: Fri 23 April, 2010 - 11:40 am »

sorry, I dont like chocolate flavored mega muffins. eek
good one!

thanks for the suggestions. AVG is still running.

A keystroke tracker can identify all your passwords. So if you have an ftp account or secure logins they can find your login and get into the sites to do evil things. It applies more to admin websites and ftp than places like this

Jericho
Supreme Mistress

i know nuffink

« Reply #8 on: Fri 23 April, 2010 - 12:49 pm »

download and run malwarebytes as well

Crikey!!
Wel that was nearly disasterville... i downloaded and installed malware.. and f**k me if it dont go and shut my computer down mid scan. Then proceeded to do a number of wierd things. Lotsa blue screens with lotsa wierd techo garb..and then a couple of black screns...Wouldnt even let me open up firefox.

So i've uninstalled...and running avg. eeeeeeek.

The definition of insanity is repeating the same process over and over and expecting the outcome to suddenly be different.
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #9 on: Fri 23 April, 2010 - 12:53 pm »

scary  eek

I can hear the raven sing .... a spiritual glow envelops, medicine power develops ... as the raven sings.
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #10 on: Fri 23 April, 2010 - 01:15 pm »

What email client are you using? If you're using Outlook(express), you'll get a virus just thinking about opening an email

And a Keystroke tracker more specifically records and sends off every keystroke you make, rather than searching for ftp passwords etc
Bored
Supreme Master

« Reply #11 on: Fri 23 April, 2010 - 04:31 pm »

Yes Outlook

As for the virus maybe I used the wrong terminology but I know this particular one does record keystrokes on ftp passwords and then uses them to hack your websites.

It's already gone into all my html files on my hard drive and inserted scripts. If it gets hold of my ftp it will do the same thing in there. I know this because I've had the pleasure of removing it once before ...

Brain
Buzzard

« Reply #12 on: Fri 23 April, 2010 - 06:44 pm »

well you must have a real nasty there!!
malwarebytes runs on everything i have and it's damn good.
although...  i always run it in safe mode... have never run it in 'go' mode
just what was recomended to me so that's what it does.
give it a go in safe mode
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #13 on: Fri 23 April, 2010 - 07:50 pm »

Yes Outlook

As for the virus maybe I used the wrong terminology but I know this particular one does record keystrokes on ftp passwords and then uses them to hack your websites.

It's already gone into all my html files on my hard drive and inserted scripts. If it gets hold of my ftp it will do the same thing in there. I know this because I've had the pleasure of removing it once before ...

Change to Thunderbird, much better and safer http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

My laptop died the other day, starting happening after I launched Outlook to check behaviour a client had commented on, it crashed, then crashed my 'puter, and within hours i/o was totally gone, couldn't run rescue discs or anything, meaning it's either in BIOS or physically damaged hardware, I blame c**ty Outlook

Sounds serious with the html insertion virus, and to get it twice?  I never get s**t like that luckily, but I use a versioning system(subversion) for everything important anyway, so if anything like that happened I can easily roll back the changes with a click of the mouse
Brain
Buzzard

« Reply #14 on: Fri 23 April, 2010 - 08:43 pm »

thunderbirds are go 

FAB virgil

Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #15 on: Fri 23 April, 2010 - 09:02 pm »

The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #16 on: Fri 23 April, 2010 - 11:18 pm »

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #17 on: Fri 23 April, 2010 - 11:30 pm »

The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.
bytey
Supreme Loser

« Reply #18 on: Sat 24 April, 2010 - 12:45 am »

keystroke trackers record every keystroke made on you pc while active...this means some loser with no time on his hands can go and see where you typed in "www.facebook.com" and then he can see you type in your user name and password...then he can make you look like a f**kwit 

...if the email is plain text - no you cannot get a virus...if it has attachments, or images contained within th emessage then yes you can.
Bored
Supreme Master

« Reply #19 on: Sat 24 April, 2010 - 06:18 pm »

No images or attachments in the spammy hotmail just links I didn't open

Yes Outlook

Change to Thunderbird, much better and safer http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

My laptop died the other day, starting happening after I launched Outlook to check behaviour a client had commented on, it crashed, then crashed my 'puter, and within hours i/o was totally gone, couldn't run rescue discs or anything, meaning it's either in BIOS or physically damaged hardware, I blame c**ty Outlook

Sounds serious with the html insertion virus, and to get it twice?  I never get S**t like that luckily, but I use a versioning system(subversion) for everything important anyway, so if anything like that happened I can easily roll back the changes with a click of the mouse

the first time i got the virus was from a wordpress installation that i hadn't upgraded to the latest version. the bots exploited the insecure version and ran riot. as i had all my websites on the same ftp account it got into all of them and hacked them and put scripts on the html pages. in addition the backdoor it left allowed other bots to come in and do their own little fiddles. then when i used the ftp account to fix it the sodding thing downloaded onto my PC and had a big party. took ages to get rid of it as it alters the registry so anti virus checkers don't find it.

I'll check out thunderbird but I really love outlook. It integrates with word so it capitalises the first word of every sentence as i type, the i automatically becomes I, auto replaces text like nz for New Zealand and can use short cuts to type whole paragraphs. It keeps my diary and I can drag and drop appointments from my emails and into contacts and diary. It's very efficient even if it is f*cking my system up on a regular basis. also it handles multiple email addresses and rules and filters that i have in place to sort everything into folders.

I'll have a trial on thunderbird. I love firefox so I'll take a lookee. i have shifted some of my email accounts to gmail. you can pop other accounts into there which works quite well and it has great filters

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length