Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Sun 22 October, 2017 - 05:27 pm
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: Adding YouTube Clips

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Mass Debating Chamber
| | |-+  aaaah philosophy eh... the crocodile dilemma
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: aaaah philosophy eh... the crocodile dilemma  (Read 965 times)
Brain
Buzzard

« on: Wed 18 August, 2010 - 02:05 pm »

What’s the problem? Similar to the well known liar’s paradox (“the following statement is true: the previous statement is false”) the crocodile dilemma tells the tale of a crocodile abducting a small child. The crocodile promises the child’s parent that he will return the child under the sole condition that the parent can predict what the crocodile will do next. The only “correct” answer is to guess that the child will be returned, assuming the crocodile being dealt with isn’t a total dick.

However, the crocodile’s condition creates its own paradox. If the crocodile intends to take the child and the parent can predict that, then he is in violation of his own terms since he won’t be returning the child even though his condition has successfully been met. It also becomes impossible for him to return the child if this is the correct answer, making him a liar in the process. Regardless, lawyers are probably going to get involved at some point.

What’s the solution? There is none. There is no logical choice for the crocodile to make in this situation. The the crocodile choosing to keep the child or return undermines his previous statement completely, rendering the exercise itself pointless and presumably rendering the crocodile into a striking pair of boots or a belt.
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #1 on: Wed 18 August, 2010 - 02:08 pm »

I have a headache

I can hear the raven sing .... a spiritual glow envelops, medicine power develops ... as the raven sings.
The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #2 on: Wed 18 August, 2010 - 02:26 pm »

omg

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #3 on: Wed 18 August, 2010 - 02:37 pm »

However, the crocodile’s condition creates its own paradox. If the crocodile intends to take the child and the parent can predict that, then he is in violation of his own terms since he won’t be returning the child even though his condition has successfully been met.

I don't understand, as in the previous paragraph it did not state that he was a sneaky lying s.o.b who had no intention of returning the child 

do we assume the paradox works each time? do we assume that all crocodiles are liars?  eek

I can hear the raven sing .... a spiritual glow envelops, medicine power develops ... as the raven sings.
The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #4 on: Wed 18 August, 2010 - 02:40 pm »

Ever met a crocodile that told you the truth? eek

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #5 on: Wed 18 August, 2010 - 03:12 pm »

no, but I've never met one that lied, either  eek

The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #6 on: Wed 18 August, 2010 - 04:31 pm »

How can you tell? Words alone or was it a look in the eye? eek

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #7 on: Wed 18 August, 2010 - 04:55 pm »

neither. it was my awesome psychic ability  Angel

Weevilgenius
Supreme Loser

Aka Snowpee

« Reply #8 on: Tue 24 August, 2010 - 08:08 pm »

it's all bollocks, the "next thing the croc does" will be to eat the child, thus rendering the parents in to quivering blobs of snivelling pre-tenderised meat.

The dilemma of this story is: people are f**king stupid, the only vagary is "how" stupid they are.  eek

The Schizzle
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #9 on: Tue 24 August, 2010 - 08:14 pm »

don't hold back, our feelings are tenderised enough

doesn't anyone feel sorry for the crocodile? it was probably one of Steves...

The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #10 on: Tue 24 August, 2010 - 08:18 pm »

it's all bollocks, the "next thing the croc does" will be to eat the child, thus rendering the parents in to quivering blobs of snivelling pre-tenderised meat.

The dilemma of this story is: people are f**king stupid, the only vagary is "how" stupid they are.  eek

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

bethune
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #11 on: Tue 24 August, 2010 - 08:57 pm »

A wise woman once said...
Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #12 on: Wed 25 August, 2010 - 12:25 am »

What’s the problem? Similar to the well known liar’s paradox (“the following statement is true: the previous statement is false”) the crocodile dilemma tells the tale of a crocodile abducting a small child. The crocodile promises the child’s parent that he will return the child under the sole condition that the parent can predict what the crocodile will do next. The only “correct” answer is to guess that the child will be returned, assuming the crocodile being dealt with isn’t a total dick.

However, the crocodile’s condition creates its own paradox. If the crocodile intends to take the child and the parent can predict that, then he is in violation of his own terms since he won’t be returning the child even though his condition has successfully been met. It also becomes impossible for him to return the child if this is the correct answer, making him a liar in the process. Regardless, lawyers are probably going to get involved at some point.

What’s the solution? There is none. There is no logical choice for the crocodile to make in this situation. The the crocodile choosing to keep the child or return undermines his previous statement completely, rendering the exercise itself pointless and presumably rendering the crocodile into a striking pair of boots or a belt.

simple just shoot the croc, turn it into boots and the kid gets to stay home.

The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length