Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Sun 17 December, 2017 - 05:17 pm
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: Unread Posts Since Your Last Visit

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Sports and Recreation
| | |-+  Commonwealth Games
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Who's watching?
Nope   -5 (45.5%)
Only if there's nothing else   -3 (27.3%)
I'm quite keen   -1 (9.1%)
I'll be watching one channel and recording  another   -0 (0%)
I'm sick of it already, it's an anachronism.   -2 (18.2%)
Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: Commonwealth Games  (Read 4767 times)
Coach
Supreme Loser

internet grinch since 1998

« on: Tue 21 September, 2010 - 12:08 pm »

Most sports have their own individual world champs, plus the Olympics. Is this last hurrah for the Empire really necessary?

This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype.
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #1 on: Tue 21 September, 2010 - 03:21 pm »

I won't be, and I don't know anybody else that will be either
The Fat Controllerô
Buzzard

« Reply #2 on: Tue 21 September, 2010 - 03:47 pm »

If one of the cameras was focused on a box of KFC sitting in the middle of the field, you'd watch eek

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #3 on: Tue 21 September, 2010 - 05:02 pm »

f**k up, you're the one that's obsessed with it
The Fat Controllerô
Buzzard

« Reply #4 on: Tue 21 September, 2010 - 05:16 pm »

Whatever. It's all you think about

And stop telling me to f*ck up. It's hurty eek

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #5 on: Tue 21 September, 2010 - 06:14 pm »

Well f**k up then eek
The Fat Controllerô
Buzzard

« Reply #6 on: Tue 21 September, 2010 - 06:34 pm »

Bastardo eek

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #7 on: Tue 21 September, 2010 - 09:02 pm »

That's hurty eek
Meggy
Supreme Loser

« Reply #8 on: Tue 21 September, 2010 - 09:11 pm »

I only watch if there's nothing else on and do you think they will even happen? eek 

***** I'm soooooo boring it's facinating *****
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #9 on: Tue 21 September, 2010 - 09:14 pm »

Starting to look like they won't, bit of a joke giving something that you'd consider even remotely important to a country like India, probably did it to kill it off
Brain
Buzzard

« Reply #10 on: Tue 21 September, 2010 - 10:14 pm »

does it have any meaning in world sport anymore?
it's hardly the jewel in the empires crown and show piece of pride and athletic prowess
it once was in ages past..

still.... it might not even go ahead
Cluzzfumble Footwad
Supreme Loser

« Reply #11 on: Sun 3 October, 2010 - 11:56 pm »

That's hurty eek
Brain
Buzzard

« Reply #12 on: Mon 4 October, 2010 - 10:59 pm »

so... its all go.
looking good so far. just one thing i'm noticing... there are so many empty seats in the stadiums!
did they not sell any tickets or are people scared to go?
Butterfly Angel
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #13 on: Tue 5 October, 2010 - 01:11 pm »

People are probably too scared to go.  I would have gone regardless as a spectator but oh well.  I think it is a pity as things can get hyped up big time by the media as we all know.  Things look worse than they really are on TV.  As for that slum it is probably miles away from the main event centre...But looks close thanks to the wonders of modern TV. 
Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #14 on: Tue 5 October, 2010 - 07:37 pm »

Why spend thousands of dollars to go there when you can see it so much better on TV, and without getting the screaming s**ts and malaria?

This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype.
Cluzzfumble Footwad
Supreme Loser

« Reply #15 on: Tue 5 October, 2010 - 10:01 pm »

I'm enjoying the 'blooper' reels.  Late last night they showed highlights of male gymnastics - all the painful bits 
bethune
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #16 on: Wed 6 October, 2010 - 01:13 pm »

Good luck to the Kiwis.

A wise woman once said...
Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #17 on: Wed 6 October, 2010 - 02:20 pm »

Have not watched any of it yet, not even accidentally.

Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #18 on: Thu 7 October, 2010 - 12:36 pm »

I saw some highlights today, and noticed something I've never seen before.  The female swimmers were wearing tight togs, so tight that their chests were flat, but they had hunks of skin hanging out the edges under their armpits, I think these hunks of skin may have been their breasts
Cluzzfumble Footwad
Supreme Loser

« Reply #19 on: Thu 7 October, 2010 - 04:09 pm »

I saw some highlights today, and noticed something I've never seen before.  The female swimmers were wearing tight togs, so tight that their chests were flat, but they had hunks of skin hanging out the edges under their armpits, I think these hunks of skin may have been their breasts

Their breasts knew you were staring and were trying to run away 
Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #20 on: Sat 9 October, 2010 - 05:51 pm »

is it over yet? Will there bee proper jubblies on Prime in the near future?  

Brain
Buzzard

« Reply #21 on: Sat 9 October, 2010 - 10:43 pm »

so...

pros and cons of the commonwealth games.

reason to have them :-

A. the eastern block steroid filled psychos aren't invited.
B. crazy americans aren't running around the track draped in flags.
C. it reminds anyone who isn't from england that they were once slaves or subjects of
    the empire.
D. it distracts some of the media form looking too closely at the mistakes being made
    in preparation for the next olympic games.
E. ....

F. ....

reasons for not having the commonwealth games.

i.  is there a commonwealth anymore?
ii. are there any countries in the commonwealth who haven't kicked out the british
    and declared independence
iii. its too expensive to travel to see them live, but nearly as expensive to get pay TV to
    to watch them at home
iv.  ....

v.  .....
The Fat Controllerô
Buzzard

« Reply #22 on: Sat 9 October, 2010 - 11:05 pm »

Any way I can work incontinence knickers into this discussion? eek

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #23 on: Sat 9 October, 2010 - 11:35 pm »

why would you want to?
Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #24 on: Sat 9 October, 2010 - 11:48 pm »

We haven't heard much from our Minister of Sport about the general lack of preparedness for these games......Perhaps he's smart enough to know that just a year out from the Rugby World Cup, we're still at risk of screwing it up too.

The Fat Controllerô
Buzzard

« Reply #25 on: Sat 9 October, 2010 - 11:54 pm »

why would you want to?
Stop all the sh*t? eek

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #26 on: Sun 10 October, 2010 - 08:36 am »

Thereís a rumour about that Porirua is planning a bid for the 2020 Olympics. The organisers of Porirua Cityís bid have already drawn up an itinerary and schedule of events. A copy has been leaked and is reproduced below.

OPENING CEREMONY . The Olympic flame will be ignited by a petrol bomb thrown by a native of the city (preferably from the Titahi Bay area), wearing the traditional tea cosy. The flame will be contained in a large chip van situated on the roof of the stadium.

THE EVENTS . In previous Olympic games, Porirua competitors have not been particularly successful. In order to redress the balance, some of the events have been altered slightly to the advantage of local athletes.

100 METRES SPRINT . Competitors will have to hold a video recorder and microwave oven one in each arm) and on the sound of the starting pistol, a police dog will be released from a cage 10 yards behind the athletes.

100 METRES HURDLES . As above but with added obstacles (ie. car bonnets, hedges, gardens, fences, walls etc.).

SHOOTING . A strong challenge is expected from the local men in this event. The first target will be a moving police van. In the second round, competitors will aim at a post office clerk, bank teller or Securitas style wages delivery man.

BOXING . Entry to the boxing will be restricted to husband and wife teams, and will take place on a Friday night. The husband will be given 15 pints of Lion Brown while the wife will be told not to make him any tea when he gets home. The bout will then commence.

CYCLING TIME TRIALS . Competitors will be asked to break into the Mana College bike shed and take an expensive mountain bike owned by some mummyís boy from the country on his first trip away from home. All against the clock.

MODERN PENTATHLON . Amended to include mugging, breaking and entering, flashing, joyriding and arson.

SWIMMING . Competitors will be thrown off the bridge over Paremata. The first three survivors back will decide the medals.

MENS 50KM WALK . Unfortunately this will have to be cancelled as the police cannot guarantee the safety of anyone walking the streets of Cannons Creek.

GYMNASTICS . Will now be held in Taylor Prestons meat works, and will include carcass vaulting and swinging from meat hooks.

RHYTHMIC GYMNASTICS . All competitors will be graded on their ability to sway drunkenly to Metallica/Tupac.

RELAY . Involves four competitors removing an appliance of their choice from a house in Tawa and getting back to Waitangirua using at least four stolen cars.

DISCUS . Will be decided by which contestant can get a hubcap off a Holden and throw it to his mate the fastest.

The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.
bethune
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #27 on: Sun 10 October, 2010 - 12:43 pm »

Typical response from back home for Kiwis working hard overseas.

That's why they end up overseas.

Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #28 on: Sun 10 October, 2010 - 03:08 pm »

Sorry bethune, but sports is not the same as working. It's a hobby. And 'we' don't win any medals. The bits of costume jewelery handed out in their hundreds at every major sports event often boil down to little more than being a couple of tenths of a second better than the next guy on the day. It's nice to get a shiny prize, but kinda sad to devote your whole youth to collecting trophies.

The Fat Controllerô
Buzzard

« Reply #29 on: Sun 10 October, 2010 - 03:40 pm »

Let's give the games to Afghanistan next eek

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #30 on: Sun 10 October, 2010 - 03:46 pm »

Let's give the games to Afghanistan next eek

Afghanistan is not in the Commonwealth.
If fact, it ain't in any kinda wealth.

The Fat Controllerô
Buzzard

« Reply #31 on: Sun 10 October, 2010 - 03:52 pm »

Ino. Like the place it's ion now is any kind of wealth eek

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

bethune
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #32 on: Mon 11 October, 2010 - 05:30 am »

Sorry bethune, but sports is not the same as working. It's a hobby. And 'we' don't win any medals. The bits of costume jewelery handed out in their hundreds at every major sports event often boil down to little more than being a couple of tenths of a second better than the next guy on the day. It's nice to get a shiny prize, but kinda sad to devote your whole youth to collecting trophies.

Sportspeople dont achieve their skills and reach their goals, and wins, by sitting on their arses. They train for years. They travel to the best venues with the best coaches and mentors to gain new skills and knowledge to perform at their best to reach their goals of being the best they can be and - ultimately - top in their field.

Doesn't come across as a 'hobby' to me. Looks like someone who is motivated, dedicated, committed and willing to do the hard yards.

As for the 'costume jewellery, shiny prize, trophies' comment - a cheap shot.

The Fat Controllerô
Buzzard

« Reply #33 on: Mon 11 October, 2010 - 08:08 am »

Fark. I would give eye teeth for a kid that pursued a gold medal over a kid that tagged walls or was interested in nothing

One good thing about going to the pools every day is I get to see the swim teams, meeting at early hours and working hard to perfect their technique. Thing is, these young kids are keeping fit, learning discipline, learning to work toward a goal, learning to listen to a coach ... they are learning a lot of valuable life skills

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #34 on: Mon 11 October, 2010 - 08:21 am »

Sure it's a cheap shot, I make no apology for my distaste for sporting hoopla. If these people want to 'be the best that they can be', it's a noble ideal - but no more noble than wanting to be the world's best Morris dancer.

I find sport as a whole to be a colossal waste of time, and I find it hugely embarrassing when the media try to drag those of us who are not interested into the whole overblown fiasco and pretend that New Zealand is united behind the America's Cup, or the Rugby World Cup, or the All Whites, or whatever other sporting event we are doing better than average at,at any given time.

There are dozens of athletes from New Zealand in Dehli getting little or no media coverage. Why? because in the fickle world of sport, They can train for years, they can travel to the best venues with the best coaches and mentors to gain new skills and knowledge to perform at their best to reach their goals of being the best they can - but if they don't win, the couch potatoes who claim to be sports fans aren't interested. Unless you bring home the shiny stuff, you're not relevant, even though you have trained just as hard as the person who was three tenths of a second faster than you on this particular day.

Having seen the governments of this country sink obscene amounts of public money into the chase for pretty trophies [the Americas Cup comes to mind here] while simultaneously allowing our health and education standards to decline to mediocrity, I have little or no time for professional and pseudo-professional sports people. They create nothing, and serve no purpose other than the occasional hollow boost to the national ego. Every dollar we waste on paying for their dreams is a dollar not being spent on better things.

The Fat Controllerô
Buzzard

« Reply #35 on: Mon 11 October, 2010 - 08:23 am »

Like compulsory anger management classes? eek

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #36 on: Mon 11 October, 2010 - 08:42 am »

Like clearing some of our hospital waiting lists, or providing better care for our elderly, or funding our schools better, or better supporting those at risk of child abuse...........

Valerie Adams picked up a gold medal for shotputt. I'm delighted for her at a personal level, but at the end of the day, it's only about who can make a dent furthest down the field with a big metal ball. I find it absurd that we allow our government agencies to pass our money around athletes in the hope that they will bring back jewelery, and obscene that the sports that do bring it back get more cash from the next budget than any other. While our government dollops out generous handouts to these non-essential events [I'm looking at you, Rugby World Cup], groups such as the Canterbury Earthquake appeal and Cancer Research have to stand in line with their hand out and hope that the general public will make up the shortfall.

I can't imagine how much a ticket to watch the rugby world cup final will cost, but at the end of the day I'm sure that charities and relief agencies that could do better, kinder things with it than watch 30 grown adults run around after a ball for a couple of hours.

The Fat Controllerô
Buzzard

« Reply #37 on: Mon 11 October, 2010 - 08:45 am »

Human beings are unique animals. It can be argued that non-essentials like the arts, music and even things like sports all contribute to a healthier, more rounded human experience

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #38 on: Mon 11 October, 2010 - 08:56 am »

The arts and music are not as easy to quantify as sport. You can't judge a song with a stopwatch, or review a movie with a tapemeasure. Perhaps that's why they are the poor relation when it comes to public funding. At least with arts and music, you create something that can be kept and enjoyed - the millions thrown at Americas' Cup racing have gone forever, along with the hideous jug trophy.

And on a lighter note, the amount of beer and pies consumed by armchair sports enthusiasts certainly contribute to a more rounded human experience.

Butterfly Angel
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #39 on: Mon 11 October, 2010 - 08:38 pm »

rounded being the optimum word here 

eek Settle petal Im not exactly thin myself *looks down at her own wobbling tummy*
Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #40 on: Mon 11 October, 2010 - 09:16 pm »

Sportspeople dont achieve their skills and reach their goals, and wins, by sitting on their arses. They train for years. They travel to the best venues with the best coaches and mentors to gain new skills and knowledge to perform at their best to reach their goals of being the best they can be and - ultimately - top in their field.

Doesn't come across as a 'hobby' to me. Looks like someone who is motivated, dedicated, committed and willing to do the hard yards.

As for the 'costume jewellery, shiny prize, trophies' comment - a cheap shot.

sports isnt sports any more

It's a paid professional job more often than not.

The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.
bethune
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #41 on: Thu 14 October, 2010 - 01:47 am »

Could almost be named the ANZAC games this time...3 NZ vs Oz finals.

Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #42 on: Thu 21 October, 2010 - 09:33 pm »

Apparently, it finished and I didn't notice.

Brain
Buzzard

« Reply #43 on: Thu 21 October, 2010 - 11:28 pm »

the stadiums are nearly ready and the traffic control plan is approved
Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #44 on: Fri 22 October, 2010 - 12:11 am »

Should've sent Paul Henry to carry our flag...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length