Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Thu 19 October, 2017 - 10:24 pm
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: Contact Details - Hiding your email

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Animals, Farming and Horticulture
| | |-+  Horticulture and Gardening
| | | |-+  roundup weed killer
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: roundup weed killer  (Read 2467 times)
Optimus
Supreme Loser

« on: Tue 4 January, 2011 - 12:02 pm »

just given the back section a blast around but not sure how long to keep the dogs off it for, any suggestions?
Coach
Supreme Loser

internet grinch since 1998

« Reply #1 on: Tue 4 January, 2011 - 04:18 pm »

as soon as it's dry.

http://www.scotts.com/smg/brand/roundup/brandLanding.jsp?branPage=roundup&campaign=rdrudotcom

This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype.
Optimus
Supreme Loser

« Reply #2 on: Wed 5 January, 2011 - 12:41 am »

thats the problem, it is dry but my two are both weeders, ie they will quite possibly try to eat the treated plants, so scotts say that people and pets can enter treated area when dry but im worried the dogs might get sick from eating treated weeds
Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #3 on: Wed 5 January, 2011 - 01:08 am »

Roundup is poisonous to weeds, not to dogs or livestock.

http://www.warringah.nsw.gov.au/environment/documents/Roundupsafetyinstructions_000.pdf

MSDS sheet for Roundup.

A Withholding Period for grazing stock is not required. However, it is recommended that grazing of
treated plants be delayed (as recommended above) to ensure herbicide absorption.

This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype.
Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #4 on: Wed 5 January, 2011 - 09:34 pm »

the old rule of thumb is to wait for the foliage to be dead, as in browned off.

I wouldnt believe all the advertising on herbicides either thanks.... pet hate is comercial growers spraying their potato plants with round up so they can havest sooner (ie not foul up their machinery with foliage) round up being system, they are then selling as food to eat - potatoes with round up in them

Normally I'd say safe once dried also, but not if they plan on eating it - not that it'll posion them now but down the track, what it might set up? dunno.

How about on the safe side - waiting for it to rain, if not brown off?
« Last Edit: Wed 5 January, 2011 - 09:35 pm by Collie » Logged

The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.
Optimus
Supreme Loser

« Reply #5 on: Thu 6 January, 2011 - 08:44 am »

too late eek
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #6 on: Thu 6 January, 2011 - 04:54 pm »

I wouldnt believe all the advertising on herbicides either thanks.... pet hate is comercial growers spraying their potato plants with round up so they can havest sooner (ie not foul up their machinery with foliage) round up being system, they are then selling as food to eat - potatoes with round up in them

Normally I'd say safe once dried also, but not if they plan on eating it - not that it'll posion them now but down the track, what it might set up? dunno.

If you wash the potatoes it will be okay eh? - round-up'ing them must get f**king expensive, that stuffs not cheap
Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #7 on: Thu 6 January, 2011 - 05:23 pm »

The farmers spray Roundup  or similar onto the plants while the spuds are still underground, the herbicide is absorbed through the leaves and kills the whole plant. Rather like poisoning a sheep before you eat it.

Optimus
Supreme Loser

« Reply #8 on: Thu 6 January, 2011 - 11:43 pm »

well the dogs tasted ok and i not feeling sick so.............. success!
Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #9 on: Sat 8 January, 2011 - 09:10 pm »

If you wash the potatoes it will be okay eh? - round-up'ing them must get f**king expensive, that stuffs not cheap

no its systemic, that means it goes through the entire plant system, including the roots = which means the potato.

try growing one of those potatoes - the sprouts will attempt to grow but will only grow a centimeter or so and be all stunted and deformed and eventually die.

round up in huge quantities is dead cheap  and when you compare that with an extra month waiting to harvest the potatoes is very expensive when another crop could be in the ground.

Not all commercial potatoes growers do that, but I know for a fact the one around here does - watched him use the stuff again just last week. 

The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.
KiplingAngel
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #10 on: Tue 1 March, 2011 - 12:48 pm »

no its systemic, that means it goes through the entire plant system, including the roots = which means the potato.

try growing one of those potatoes - the sprouts will attempt to grow but will only grow a centimeter or so and be all stunted and deformed and eventually die.

round up in huge quantities is dead cheap  and when you compare that with an extra month waiting to harvest the potatoes is very expensive when another crop could be in the ground.

Not all commercial potatoes growers do that, but I know for a fact the one around here does - watched him use the stuff again just last week. 

IMHO Roundup is dangerous stuff, not just to the plants affected directly, but also the soil too - and you can't tell me that it doesn't affect the soil.  I realise that it might affect profits for the farmers, but I'm personally more concerned about keeping myself and my children healthy.

Riding the wings of change!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length