Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Wed 18 October, 2017 - 03:50 am
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: Unread Posts Since Your Last Visit

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  The Kitchen (Recipes)
| | |-+  Silicone
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Silicone  (Read 802 times)
Re-instated Gov
Supreme Master

... off you go then. And don't forget my tea!

« on: Sun 17 July, 2011 - 12:55 pm »

Those of you on here who bake, cook, etc, do you use the silicone bakeware and, if so, do you use normal temps or have to adjust?  Also, with the baking trays, do you have anything underneath them when they're in the oven or just sitting on the oven rack?  Possibley dumb questions but I have some silicone bakeware and still trying to get my head around the fact that it won't melt when you put it in the oven 
Lux
Supreme Loser

« Reply #1 on: Sun 17 July, 2011 - 03:07 pm »

I put my muffin tray on an oven tray, otherwise it's a b***h of a thing to pull in and out of the oven.

Obi Wan Kanobi said. "I have never seen such a wretched hive of scum and villainy." Little did Obi Wan realize he was describing the National party.
cylllyyy cylindra
Supreme Loser

« Reply #2 on: Sun 17 July, 2011 - 07:19 pm »

I have tried them but I just don't like them for baking.  Could just be me but I prefer tins.  Old fashioned hehe.

They won't melt but be careful with cheaper quality ones. 

Ask a cylly question get a cylly answer.   cylllyyy cylindra
The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #3 on: Sun 17 July, 2011 - 07:58 pm »

I like the concept, but have a bit of a phobia. I can't quite feel at ease cooking in something that MUST be affecting the food - even a LITTLE bit - chemically

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Lux
Supreme Loser

« Reply #4 on: Mon 18 July, 2011 - 12:37 pm »

I have that worry too, but I do like that they are so easy to work with, no problems with sticking and cleaning. That stuff has been around forever overseas so surely research has been going on for some time too. I bought my first muffin tray from a tupperware party cost an arm and a leg of lamb  I figure if tupperware endorses it it must be okay. Fingers crossed i don't get run over by a bus tomorrow. 

Obi Wan Kanobi said. "I have never seen such a wretched hive of scum and villainy." Little did Obi Wan realize he was describing the National party.
bethune
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #5 on: Tue 19 July, 2011 - 12:57 am »

Tupperware is so friggin expensive now eek

Seen the booklets...do they still have 'parties'?

A wise woman once said...
Lux
Supreme Loser

« Reply #6 on: Tue 19 July, 2011 - 03:39 pm »

I think they still have parties, I see alot of people sell it in trademe...sucks to go to one of those parties especially when it's family and you feel obligated to buy something LoL.

cuddles97

« Reply #7 on: Fri 7 October, 2011 - 10:27 pm »

in my opinion the only decent silicon bake ware are the Wiltshire ring cake molds. There is a temperature (think it is about 220c but will check on Sunday) that you have to avoid exposing the bake ware to and this is not because it will melt but because the heat can cause it to eventually wear out and become weaker. Nothing wrong with the good old tin or non stick bake ware!
p.s the best thing to grease silicon bake ware with is the Wilton baking grease which you paint into the molds.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length