Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Sat 16 December, 2017 - 06:15 pm
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: Swear Filters

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Mass Debating Chamber
| | |-+  Did Anyone see...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Anyone see...  (Read 2779 times)
bethune
Supreme Mistress

« on: Sat 17 December, 2011 - 11:17 pm »

...Campbell Live this week where $99,000 was raised OVERNIGHT  for a young boy with the worst teeth and jaw malformation I've certainly ever seen.

Good Kiwi and C'mas spirit.

A wise woman once said...
Coach
Supreme Loser

internet grinch since 1998

« Reply #1 on: Sat 17 December, 2011 - 11:33 pm »

Unfortunate kid. I saw somewhere that his deadbeat parents are getting a car out of his misfortune. If they had any pride, they'd regift the surplus to other needy families.

This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype.
bethune
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #2 on: Sat 17 December, 2011 - 11:40 pm »

His 'deadbeat dad' (no mum was seen or mentioned) was getting a car to drive the boy and his sister (who also needs orthodontic work) to and from their treatments, of which there will be many, esp major jaw reconstructive work for the boy.
The rest of the money is going into a trust fund to ensure all the dental etc costs are covered.
One estimate of the cost for the boy alone was $10,000.

Did you actually see the article?

Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #3 on: Sat 17 December, 2011 - 11:44 pm »

Here's a novel idea.....If he needs a car, why not get..............A JOB?

This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype.
bethune
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #4 on: Sat 17 December, 2011 - 11:58 pm »

The article didn't mention his employment status, just that he was too poor to buy a car. That's not to say he was unemployed though...or on a benefit of any sort...again the article didn't cover this.

The focus was on the boys need for major dental work, over what will be a few years, costing more than this Dad could afford...and the generosity of NZ'ers.

It was a positive, reaffirming article about good people who put their hands in their pockets and piggy banks to give a kid a chance at a normal life.

Lux
Supreme Loser

« Reply #5 on: Sun 18 December, 2011 - 12:03 am »

Missed it only saw the shorts, poor kid, good news.

Obi Wan Kanobi said. "I have never seen such a wretched hive of scum and villainy." Little did Obi Wan realize he was describing the National party.
Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #6 on: Sun 18 December, 2011 - 12:10 am »

Great, her gets his teeth fixed, the orthodontist gets to make another payment on his Ferrari, and the government gets let off the hook and doesn't have to do what we pay governments to do. A few people with a bob or two to spare actually do something worthwhile with it [and apparently this happens so rarely that it's newsworthy], and his dad gets to benefit from his kids' misfortune.

Campbell Live has received several requests from viewers for an address to send Christmas presents to the Hill family. Any gifts can be sent to the Christchurch TV3 office, where Evanís dad will collect them.
[/i]

Saves their Dad from trying harder, I guess.

bethune
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #7 on: Sun 18 December, 2011 - 12:21 am »

Why so  Bah Humbug  about a good news story?

Lux
Supreme Loser

« Reply #8 on: Sun 18 December, 2011 - 07:40 am »

Great, her gets his teeth fixed, the orthodontist gets to make another payment on his Ferrari, and the government gets let off the hook and doesn't have to do what we pay governments to do. A few people with a bob or two to spare actually do something worthwhile with it [and apparently this happens so rarely that it's newsworthy], and his dad gets to benefit from his kids' misfortune.

Campbell Live has received several requests from viewers for an address to send Christmas presents to the Hill family. Any gifts can be sent to the Christchurch TV3 office, where Evanís dad will collect them.
[/i]

The orthodontist most likely already owns two ferraris.

State funded dental care for kids is pretty poor I agree.

Great that kiwis will still did deep during this never ending bloody recession, shows the kiwi spirit is still there.

There was another news story of a young mum dying of breast cancer - will be leaving behind a husband and toddler - Kiwis have donated around $18,000 so far - this will cover the cost of her funeral and the rest to go into a trust for the child.

Obi Wan Kanobi said. "I have never seen such a wretched hive of scum and villainy." Little did Obi Wan realize he was describing the National party.
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #9 on: Sun 18 December, 2011 - 08:01 am »

I saw it on TV and the father does have a job, if he didn't WINZ would have paid for it no doubt - and it didn't look like there was a mother on the scene
Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #10 on: Sun 18 December, 2011 - 09:39 am »

Why so  Bah Humbug  about a good news story?

Because people shouldn't have to go begging for this kind of stuff. And people who need help should only take what they need.

$12,000 for kids' dental work is obscene. Accepting over $100,000 to pay for it is no better.

Man wants a car to take the kid to his appointments? f**k off! He lives in a city. Public transport should be more than adequate.

We all want the best for our kids.We all want to make the bad things right. Most of us do what we can and forego what we must in order to achieve that.

Brain
Buzzard

« Reply #11 on: Sun 18 December, 2011 - 12:08 pm »

ignoring the fact that the boy should never have been in this position, and free dental care is only for those with
simple or no tooth problems and the fact that ordinary citizens have to pick up the pieces where the state has failed,
this is a great nice feel good story for christmas.

cylllyyy cylindra
Supreme Loser

« Reply #12 on: Wed 21 December, 2011 - 09:41 pm »

From what I saw - he has a job, raising kids as a single dad and can't afford a new car nor the dental work required. 

Now if he did not have a job and grabbed the benefit he would no doubt have a car plus they would pay for the dental work as well. 

Good on the public helping this kid and his family out.  They felt the need to donate and for good reason as well. 

Ask a cylly question get a cylly answer.   cylllyyy cylindra
Butterfly Angel
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #13 on: Mon 2 January, 2012 - 03:11 pm »

[/i]

The orthodontist most likely already owns two ferraris.

State funded dental care for kids is pretty poor I agree.

Great that kiwis will still did deep during this never ending bloody recession, shows the kiwi spirit is still there.

There was another news story of a young mum dying of breast cancer - will be leaving behind a husband and toddler - Kiwis have donated around $18,000 so far - this will cover the cost of her funeral and the rest to go into a trust for the child.

When you consider most dentists have student loans worth over $100,000 plus loans for dental equipment and leases to pay for the clinic building, they do not actually make a hell of a lot at the end of the day, especially if they want to keep up with the latest technology which makes life much easier and less painful for the patients.
Weevilgenius
Supreme Loser

Aka Snowpee

« Reply #14 on: Tue 3 January, 2012 - 08:43 pm »

When you consider most dentists have student loans worth over $100,000 plus loans for dental equipment and leases to pay for the clinic building, they do not actually make a hell of a lot at the end of the day, especially if they want to keep up with the latest technology which makes life much easier and less painful for the patients.

they'll also be earning upward of 100k within a few years of leaving uni, and then over 200k a few years after that 

The Schizzle
Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #15 on: Tue 3 January, 2012 - 08:57 pm »

Find me a dentist in this town who is less than 50. Your 'student loan' theory might fly.

Weevilgenius
Supreme Loser

Aka Snowpee

« Reply #16 on: Tue 3 January, 2012 - 09:00 pm »

sheesh my starting salary with a degree was 50, anyone with a high value degree will be there abouts starting off (or even substantially more) and experienced dentists on several k a year would be very common frankly 

The Schizzle
Weevilgenius
Supreme Loser

Aka Snowpee

« Reply #17 on: Tue 3 January, 2012 - 09:03 pm »

oh lookee here: (NZ dollars by the way)

" In their first year, dentists usually earn about $80,000.
    After two to three years, they may earn between $100,000 and $120,000.
    After five years, they may earn up to $150,000."

« Last Edit: Tue 3 January, 2012 - 09:03 pm by Weevilgenius » Logged

The Schizzle
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #18 on: Tue 3 January, 2012 - 09:05 pm »

At that rate, their loans will be paid off in a couple of years so they can put their prices down again
Brain
Buzzard

« Reply #19 on: Tue 3 January, 2012 - 09:07 pm »

Weevilgenius
Supreme Loser

Aka Snowpee

« Reply #20 on: Tue 3 January, 2012 - 09:07 pm »

I remember at 28, my best friend (slightly younger than me)  earning 120k pounds doing commercial law in the UK...

I wish I had done something sensible like that

the money just keeps going up 

The Schizzle
cylllyyy cylindra
Supreme Loser

« Reply #21 on: Tue 3 January, 2012 - 09:16 pm »

Also we are assuming that they all have large student loans.  Not everyone goes down that road.

Some are lucky and have parents who foot the bill.
Some work part time to pay for as much as they can so they have a small loan or no loan.
And so on.

My friend, her hubby is an eye surgeon.  Believe it or not he is still studying, doing the final part in the UK.  He has no student loan.  He worked all through uni, and worked as a doctor while he started on the eye stuff - he will be around the 400k mark when he gets back here or oz depending on where they go. 

Ask a cylly question get a cylly answer.   cylllyyy cylindra
Weevilgenius
Supreme Loser

Aka Snowpee

« Reply #22 on: Tue 3 January, 2012 - 09:54 pm »

make your children do law or doctoring  eek

don't let them do design or other airyfairnyess  

The Schizzle
cathy
Supreme Master

« Reply #23 on: Tue 3 January, 2012 - 09:59 pm »

but who would really want to spend their working life looking in other people's mouths.

no wonder they are so well paid or no-one would want to do it.

ďBlessed are the destroyers of false hope, for they are the true Messiahs - Cursed are the god-adorers, for they shall be shorn sheep!Ē
― Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible
Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #24 on: Tue 3 January, 2012 - 10:02 pm »

Same could apply to forecourt attendants. Yet, they only get minimum wage.

The Fat Controllerô
Buzzard

« Reply #25 on: Wed 4 January, 2012 - 12:34 am »

but who would really want to spend their working life looking in other people's mouths.

no wonder they are so well paid or no-one would want to do it.
Dude. Gynecologists beat those guys hands down. excuse the pun eek

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Brain
Buzzard

« Reply #26 on: Wed 4 January, 2012 - 05:34 pm »

i was going to be a gynecologist, but it's a big thing when you look into it.   eek
Coach
Supreme Loser

« Reply #27 on: Wed 4 January, 2012 - 05:44 pm »

It's not what it's cracked up to be.

Optimus
Supreme Loser

« Reply #28 on: Wed 4 January, 2012 - 07:13 pm »

im no gynecologist but ill take a look at it for you........
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length