Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Wed 18 October, 2017 - 10:18 pm
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: Contact Details - Hiding your email

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  The Man Cave (Moderator: Brain)
| | |-+  Question For The Sparkies...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question For The Sparkies...  (Read 810 times)
bethune
Supreme Mistress

« on: Mon 21 May, 2012 - 01:24 am »

Moved into this place not quite 2yrs ago.

In that time, I have changed more lightbulbs than I can remember...but at least...5 in a kitchen light, 3 in another, 3 in the back porch light, 6 in the lounge lights (and 2 of them went pop after only a few hours).
There's a dimmer in the lounge, but if I use it, it makes a buzzing noise...and the stove did that recently too when I plugged the toaster into it.
The old lightswitch in the laundry doesn't always work first time around,
Have tries diff brands of bulbs with no luck.

The house was built early 1950's.

Does the house have a wiring problem? Or is it just the light bulb attachments (most of which are originals).

I can't change all the bulbs (I have many, many fine attributes but one of them is not height, even when using my old Dad's wonky wooden ladder) so I have to get the landlord in to change the lightbulbs I can't reach and he's getting a bit pissed about it all

Professional opinions welcome.

A wise woman once said...
Optimus
Supreme Loser

« Reply #1 on: Wed 23 May, 2012 - 08:34 am »

Moved into this place not quite 2yrs ago.

In that time, I have changed more lightbulbs than I can remember...but at least...5 in a kitchen light, 3 in another, 3 in the back porch light, 6 in the lounge lights (and 2 of them went pop after only a few hours).
There's a dimmer in the lounge, but if I use it, it makes a buzzing noise...and the stove did that recently too when I plugged the toaster into it.
The old lightswitch in the laundry doesn't always work first time around,
Have tries diff brands of bulbs with no luck.

The house was built early 1950's.

Does the house have a wiring problem? Or is it just the light bulb attachments (most of which are originals).

I can't change all the bulbs (I have many, many fine attributes but one of them is not height, even when using my old Dad's wonky wooden ladder) so I have to get the landlord in to change the lightbulbs I can't reach and he's getting a bit pissed about it all

Professional opinions welcome.

battenholders need replacing.... only way you will stop blowing lamps like you are.... the dimmer if its old will buzz, they generally do until they s**t themselves............. as for the stove buzzing, you may need to get a sparky or appliance serviceman in to check that out, shouldnt be buzzing under load, may be a faulty switch/socket assembly. and laundry light switch needs replacing too by the sounds, probly an old pdl 60 series with spread contacts.
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #2 on: Wed 23 May, 2012 - 09:16 am »

We have a new house that has a lightbulb problem where they keep blowing, the ones here though are starting to break in the holder (some GE ones that were here when we moved in) as they blew, and you can't get the :c**t: s out, and some of the ones that didn't smash when they blew, break when you try to remove them as some meat head did them up too tight, and they're ES bulbs so I can't remove them once broken
Optimus
Supreme Loser

« Reply #3 on: Wed 23 May, 2012 - 05:08 pm »

We have a new house that has a lightbulb problem where they keep blowing, the ones here though are starting to break in the holder (some GE ones that were here when we moved in) as they blew, and you can't get the :c**t: s out, and some of the ones that didn't smash when they blew, break when you try to remove them as some meat head did them up too tight, and they're ES bulbs so I can't remove them once broken
turn power off and attack them with longnose pliers, the cap will come out but you gotta pretty much destroy it, and when you put new ES lamps in, do it with the fitting turned on, twist in lamp till it lights then a slight twist after that, then if they blow you can get them out easier
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #4 on: Wed 23 May, 2012 - 07:16 pm »

turn power off and attack them with longnose pliers, the cap will come out but you gotta pretty much destroy it, and when you put new ES lamps in, do it with the fitting turned on, twist in lamp till it lights then a slight twist after that, then if they blow you can get them out easier

I tried with the pliers, but I got a face-full of glass fragments, so I'm thinking of dismantling it - it's the bathroom one I'm worried about as it's a integrated unit with heat lamps and extractor in there somewhere so I may not be able to just wreak it without replacing the whole thing
Optimus
Supreme Loser

« Reply #5 on: Thu 24 May, 2012 - 10:35 pm »

go for gold, if you f**k it ill get you a new one  
Red
Supreme Loser

« Reply #6 on: Fri 6 July, 2012 - 11:10 pm »

go for gold, if you f**k it ill get you a new one  
Spoken like a true Tradesman!!! 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length