Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Wed 25 October, 2017 - 12:18 am
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: Questions & Answers

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Mass Debating Chamber
| | |-+  http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7280558/Judge-steps-in-to-save-sick-girls-life
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7280558/Judge-steps-in-to-save-sick-girls-life  (Read 1549 times)
bethune
Supreme Mistress

« on: Mon 16 July, 2012 - 01:46 am »

Discuss.

A wise woman once said...
Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #1 on: Mon 16 July, 2012 - 01:58 am »

you start

The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.
Lux
Supreme Loser

« Reply #2 on: Mon 16 July, 2012 - 08:42 am »

It takes the onus off the parents. Transplants are possible without blood transfusions, just not here.

Obi Wan Kanobi said. "I have never seen such a wretched hive of scum and villainy." Little did Obi Wan realize he was describing the National party.
bethune
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #3 on: Mon 16 July, 2012 - 01:32 pm »

Bottom line is...the childs life in the here and now, not the hereafter.

...and perhaps   it wasn't such a good idea to put the link in the subject line?

Here tiz...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7280558/Judge-steps-in-to-save-sick-girls-life

A wise woman once said...
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #4 on: Mon 16 July, 2012 - 01:58 pm »

I think its very difficult when you are faced with a decision with brings you into such conflict with what you believe so completely - a tremendous test of faith i would think. I'm sure this isn't easy for the parents - they are probably quite pressured by their church?

if they decide to go ahead (without being forced by the court) and allow the blood transfusion, what does that say to them about how important their faith is? and how much of it do they now believe in? can they continue to have blind faith in their teachings? should they? can they justify exceptions? will their church support them regardless? just why does their faith have such a particular view on the blood thing, and is there some genuine concern based in scientific reality? (and yeah bob, i am going to ignore any sarcasm from you on that point)

I can hear the raven sing .... a spiritual glow envelops, medicine power develops ... as the raven sings.
Lux
Supreme Loser

« Reply #5 on: Mon 16 July, 2012 - 03:29 pm »

Aside from the religious factor, how much intervention is okay? The child is on deaths door, perhaps a quiet peaceful death is what they want for their child, as opposed to what could be many years of treatment and intervention. I suppose what the doctors want is to give her a fighting chance - but aside from the religious factors in this case, how much right should a parent have to decide?

Obi Wan Kanobi said. "I have never seen such a wretched hive of scum and villainy." Little did Obi Wan realize he was describing the National party.
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #6 on: Mon 16 July, 2012 - 04:44 pm »

yes. these sorts of cases are highly emotive.

i still remember the case in the US where the hospital got an injunction against the parents of a brain-dead child being able to pull the plug, and yet they were also expected to continue paying for the hospital bills of this continued care 

I can hear the raven sing .... a spiritual glow envelops, medicine power develops ... as the raven sings.
cathy
Supreme Master

« Reply #7 on: Mon 16 July, 2012 - 05:08 pm »

I think parents should be able to decide what is more important their religious beliefs or their childs life.

I don't see this as being a lot different from the rulings of the catholic church regarding  contraception.

The teachings of the church came before a threat to a womans life if she had difficulty pregnancies.
The church would rather see the couple take the risk of a maternal death than use contraception.
However most catholics are wise enough to ignore the churches teachings and make their own decisions.

“Blessed are the destroyers of false hope, for they are the true Messiahs - Cursed are the god-adorers, for they shall be shorn sheep!”
― Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible
Red
Supreme Loser

« Reply #8 on: Mon 16 July, 2012 - 07:57 pm »

Joho's and mormons prey on people when they are at a low point in their life and are vulnerable and easily led..  . I despise their recruitment methods.

Apologies if I have offended any johos in here. 
Brain
Buzzard

« Reply #9 on: Mon 16 July, 2012 - 07:58 pm »

cultists 
The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #10 on: Mon 16 July, 2012 - 08:41 pm »

Fag. I'm cute, but not when YOU say it

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Brain
Buzzard

« Reply #11 on: Mon 16 July, 2012 - 08:46 pm »

put your glasses on will ya 
The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #12 on: Mon 16 July, 2012 - 08:51 pm »

Oh

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #13 on: Mon 16 July, 2012 - 09:02 pm »

Brought to you by dab

Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #14 on: Mon 16 July, 2012 - 09:23 pm »

KFC grease in his eyes again
The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #15 on: Mon 16 July, 2012 - 10:37 pm »

Hey, Stumo

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #16 on: Tue 17 July, 2012 - 11:12 am »

I think its very difficult when you are faced with a decision with brings you into such conflict with what you believe so completely - a tremendous test of faith i would think. I'm sure this isn't easy for the parents - they are probably quite pressured by their church?

if they decide to go ahead (without being forced by the court) and allow the blood transfusion, what does that say to them about how important their faith is? and how much of it do they now believe in? can they continue to have blind faith in their teachings? should they? can they justify exceptions? will their church support them regardless? just why does their faith have such a particular view on the blood thing, and is there some genuine concern based in scientific reality? (and yeah bob, i am going to ignore any sarcasm from you on that point)

...yeah, it's all about them eh

Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #17 on: Tue 17 July, 2012 - 11:19 am »

Bottom line is...the childs life in the here and now, not the hereafter.

...and perhaps   it wasn't such a good idea to put the link in the subject line?

Here tiz...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7280558/Judge-steps-in-to-save-sick-girls-life

The Sunday Star-Times understands the girl has had blood transfusions before, given to her by the hospital under emergency provisions in the Care of Children Act.

the girl is already tainted  so whats with a bit more?

...ah - McCall said he had known cases where Jehovah's Witnesses who accepted blood transfusions had been disowned by their parents and church.

do they not want the kid any more?

PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #18 on: Tue 17 July, 2012 - 11:57 am »

that is so harsh, eh? surely its more important for the flock to stick together, than be ousted for a life-saving procedure? 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length