Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Fri 20 October, 2017 - 07:13 am
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: Swear Filters

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  The Kitchen (Recipes)
| | |-+  Test Tube Burger
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Test Tube Burger  (Read 1284 times)
Lux
Supreme Loser

« on: Mon 29 July, 2013 - 05:18 pm »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/food-news/8977733/The-475-000-hamburger

The burger has been made from the stem cells from one single cow (and it could be replicated endlessly, in theory).

The stem cells were first stripped from the cow's muscle, and then incubated in a nutrient broth that turns it into the texture of an undercooked egg (mmm... appetising).

The "wasted muscle" is then bulked up in a process that is the laboratory equivalent of exercise before being strapped to Velcro and stretched. Then, 3,000 small strips of the lab-grown meat are minced and combined with 200 pieces of lab-grown animal fat to be formed into a burger.

Mmmmmm Delicious, yum, yum.  eek

Ew, just imagine if someone transferred a human component unwittingly into the meat growing process?

Obi Wan Kanobi said. "I have never seen such a wretched hive of scum and villainy." Little did Obi Wan realize he was describing the National party.
Mr Nice Guy
Supreme Loser

« Reply #1 on: Mon 29 July, 2013 - 05:41 pm »

That's what we'll eat on the way to Mars 
Brain
Buzzard

« Reply #2 on: Mon 29 July, 2013 - 07:07 pm »

Don't Maccas already use that?   
Mr Nice Guy
Supreme Loser

« Reply #3 on: Mon 29 July, 2013 - 07:09 pm »

Badum tish
KiplingAngel
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #4 on: Mon 29 July, 2013 - 10:08 pm »

Riding the wings of change!
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #5 on: Tue 30 July, 2013 - 09:40 pm »

It will probably be quite nice
Lux
Supreme Loser

« Reply #6 on: Tue 30 July, 2013 - 10:23 pm »

yeah especially if it gets contaminated in any way.  Face Palm

Obi Wan Kanobi said. "I have never seen such a wretched hive of scum and villainy." Little did Obi Wan realize he was describing the National party.
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #7 on: Tue 30 July, 2013 - 11:30 pm »

regular meat has just as much chance of being contaminated Face Palm
Lux
Supreme Loser

« Reply #8 on: Sun 4 August, 2013 - 01:51 pm »

Don't Maccas already use that?   

Hamburger chef Jamie Oliver has just won a battle against one of the largest fast food chains in the world. After Oliver showed how McDonald’s hamburgers are made, the franchise announced it will change its recipe.

According to Oliver, the fatty parts of beef are “washed” in ammonium hydroxide and used in the filling of the burger. Before this process, according to the presenter, the food is deemed unfit for human consumption.

According to the chef and presenter, Jamie Oliver, who has undertaken a war against the fast food industry: “Basically, we’re taking a product that would be sold in the cheapest way for dogs, and after this process, is being given to human beings.”

Besides the low quality of the meat, the ammonium hydroxide is harmful to health. Oliver calls it “the pink slime process.”

“Why would any sensible human being put meat filled with ammonia in the mouths of their children?” asked the chef, who wages a war against the fast food industry.

In one of his initiatives, Oliver demonstrates to children how nuggets are made. After selecting the best parts of the chicken, the remains (fat, skin and internal organs) are processed for these fried foods.

The company, Arcos Dorados, the franchise manager in Latin America, said such a procedure is not practiced in the region. The same applies to the product in Ireland and the UK, where they use meat from local suppliers.

In the United States, Burger King and Taco Bell had already abandoned the use of ammonia in their products. The food industry uses ammonium hydroxide as an anti-microbial agent in meats, which has allowed McDonald’s to use otherwise “inedible meat.”

Even more disturbing is that because ammonium hydroxide is considered part of the “component in a production procedure” by the USDA, consumers may not know when the chemical is in their food.

On the official website of McDonald’s, the company claims that their meat is cheap because, while serving many people every day, they are able to buy from their suppliers at a lower price, and offer the best quality products.

In addition, the franchise denied that the decision to change the recipe is related to Jamie Oliver’s campaign. On the site, McDonald’s has admitted that they have abandoned the beef filler from its burger patties.

KiplingAngel
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #9 on: Wed 7 August, 2013 - 09:58 am »

I'm pretty sure they used to advertise that their patties were made from 100% beef....

Not that I eat there anyway - but just another reason to find something... ANYTHING other than McDonalds if I'm needing food...
I suppose it's back to the old adage, profits over people

Collie
Buzzard

Airyfairy Inc.

« Reply #10 on: Wed 7 August, 2013 - 11:26 am »

I have never forgotten the time when sparrow, as a little girl, shoved what she didnt want to eat of her cheese burger and fries under the seat of the car.  It would have been a good 6 months or more before i decided to clean the car and thus discovered her leavings.

ALL of it, looked like it did the day it was made, nothing had rotted, nothing had gone hard, nothing had changed from the day it was bought the cheese looked as plastic as ever, the meat and bread hadnt broken down in any shape or form, and beside it all was a decomposed apple core.

That is just plain not natural.

The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.
Mr Nice Guy
Supreme Loser

« Reply #11 on: Wed 7 August, 2013 - 12:36 pm »

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=711&sid=24906867

14 yr old burger

There's a few stories on the net like this one  

ST. GEORGE — The lifespan of a hamburger is usually measured in minutes: You get the burger, you scarf the burger, the burger is gone forever. A man from St. George, however, claims that he has a 14-year-old McDonald's burger that still looks like new.

David Whipple said he purchased the burger July 7, 1999 in Logan in order to use it for a demonstration about enzymatic action. He was battling with his weight and wanted to show it to a group of fellow weight loss advocates. So he let it age for a month before bringing out.

"At the little meeting, I showed the hamburger and the pickle, which was just starting to disintegrate," Whipple writes. "There was no decomposition to the meat or bun, nor any mold, fungus or smell. It had no bad odor at all.

The burger, which he says was stuffed into a jacket pocket and tossed into his truck after the meeting, was forgotten about, surviving the summer heat. It was discovered a year or two later in a closet, still in the coat pocket with the original bag and receipt.

"It was purely a fluke about hanging on to it," Whipple said in an interview with ksl.com.

The burger had only a pickle, mustard and ketchup on it, no lettuce or cheese. Only the pickle appeared to decompose much over the years.

It also survived a move from Logan to St. George, where it was discovered in a box in 2007. Whipple even tried selling it on eBay, where it reached about $2,000, but never sold because his daughter bid on the item.

He said it's never been refrigerated or stored in a way that would preserve it. Eventually, he started a blog where he wrote about the burger and periodically posted pictures.

Recently, the burger was featured on the television show "TV Doctors." On Tuesday, the burger went viral.

"This just came out in the last couple of months and it's just been crazy," he said.

Whipple said he isn't sure why it survived so long and can't attribute it to either dehydration or chemical preservatives or something else.

"That's the million-dollar question. They dig up things in King Tut's tomb," he said.

"It's going to take a smarter person than I am to figure that out."

He's also performing a more controlled version of the experiment on cheap burgers from several other burger joints, and so far the results are pretty similar to the accidental one.

"I still got them sitting here, and there'e all hanging out really well. They're doing just fine, just about like the 14-year-old burger does," he said.

Whipple said he thinks the burger's example has had a positive impact on his family's eating habits.

"I honestly believe raising seven kids that having that hamburger around the last 14 years made a difference in my own kids lives."

Nevertheless, he said he doesn't want to turn the hamburger into a cause or a crusade against fast food burgers.

"This has just been fun," he said. "This has just been one of those crazy things."
« Last Edit: Wed 7 August, 2013 - 12:38 pm by -Bob » Logged
KiplingAngel
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #12 on: Wed 7 August, 2013 - 07:24 pm »

Why have toxic burgers from Maccas, or petrie dish 'meat' from the Netherlands

Nothing beats a home kill animal (naturally grown animal, not fed grains or other crap) which is killed in the prime of it's life, and a burger made from actual meat.

Mr Nice Guy
Supreme Loser

« Reply #13 on: Wed 7 August, 2013 - 07:43 pm »

Cow hater 
KiplingAngel
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #14 on: Wed 7 August, 2013 - 09:44 pm »

Cow hater 

Quite the opposite... 

I love animals - most are simply Delicious... Angel

Lux
Supreme Loser

« Reply #15 on: Wed 7 August, 2013 - 09:47 pm »

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length