Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Fri 20 October, 2017 - 04:29 pm
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: Unread Posts Since Your Last Visit

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Mass Debating Chamber
| | |-+  Panda-gate
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Panda-gate  (Read 404 times)
Mr Nice Guy
Supreme Loser

« on: Wed 30 September, 2015 - 10:14 am »

Prime Minister John Key was unaware one of his ministers was delivering a proposal to China for pandas at Wellington Zoo.

Defence Minister Gerry Brownlee is in China meeting with the People's Liberation Army and has travelled to Chengdu, China's panda breeding capital, where he is meeting with commanders and visiting a military base.

A spokeswoman from Brownlee's office confirmed the minister was visiting the Giant Panda Breeding Research Base in Chengdu on Wednesday morning where he would personally deliver the Wellington City Council proposal for pandas at the zoo.

"The primary purpose and vast majority of our visit is bilateral defence relations. Our hosts, the People's Liberation Army, booked us to visit the breeding facility while we are in Chengdu, as they are very proud of their pandas," the spokeswoman said.

"This was also the site of the 2008 Sichuan earthquake, and they are showing us how they've rebuilt. The visit to the panda breeding facility was arranged by our hosts well before the recent publicity about Wellington City Council's proposal. However, as we're here we offered to hand over a document detailing the council proposal."

Key, who is in New York at the United Nations General Assembly, said he didn't know Brownlee was delivering the proposal and it wasn't his number one issue.

He also had not yet raised the panda idea with Chinese President Xi Jinping.

Not everyone at Wellington City Council is on board with the proposal and councillor Paul Eagle has contacted chief executive Kevin Lavery demanding to know why councillors were not briefed on the move.

Lux
Supreme Loser

« Reply #1 on: Wed 30 September, 2015 - 10:53 am »

Oh I don't know anything about that...Kiwis aren't interested in that...oh they'll come round...

How about with give pie eater a couple of black eyes, and stick him in Wellington Zoo, kiwis will get used to the odd looking panda.

Obi Wan Kanobi said. "I have never seen such a wretched hive of scum and villainy." Little did Obi Wan realize he was describing the National party.
Mr Nice Guy
Supreme Loser

« Reply #2 on: Wed 30 September, 2015 - 12:10 pm »

Someone will be working on that photo right now 
cathy
Supreme Master

« Reply #3 on: Wed 30 September, 2015 - 09:42 pm »

it would only cost about 1 million per year to feed and house.
what a bargain.

“Blessed are the destroyers of false hope, for they are the true Messiahs - Cursed are the god-adorers, for they shall be shorn sheep!”
― Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible
Mr Nice Guy
Supreme Loser

« Reply #4 on: Wed 30 September, 2015 - 09:45 pm »

They had someone from the zoo on the radio the day after it came out and he dodged the question tactfully of if they would attract enough visitors to even cover the cost
Mr Nice Guy
Supreme Loser

« Reply #5 on: Thu 1 October, 2015 - 04:35 pm »

Someone will be working on that photo right now 

I knew I should have taken a photo of it but thought I'd find it online later, Al Nisbet did a cartoon of Gerry with panda eyes in this mornings The Press   
Lux
Supreme Loser

« Reply #6 on: Thu 1 October, 2015 - 05:47 pm »

I saw one in FB; see if I can find it again.

Obi Wan Kanobi said. "I have never seen such a wretched hive of scum and villainy." Little did Obi Wan realize he was describing the National party.
Lux
Supreme Loser

« Reply #7 on: Thu 1 October, 2015 - 06:11 pm »

pandapimp

Brain
Buzzard

« Reply #8 on: Fri 2 October, 2015 - 12:06 am »

He's about as dumb as a panda as well 
Brain
Buzzard

« Reply #9 on: Fri 2 October, 2015 - 12:10 am »

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2013/04/19/why_do_we_bother_saving_the_pandas.html

Brain
Buzzard

« Reply #10 on: Fri 2 October, 2015 - 12:25 am »

dumb as bag of hammers  Face Palm

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length