Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Mon 28 May, 2018 - 03:55 am
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: Adding YouTube Clips

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  The Lab (Moderator: Stu)
| | |-+  buying computors
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: buying computors  (Read 2211 times)
smile4me
Supreme Mistress

« on: Mon 26 October, 2009 - 11:12 am »

what brands and memory levels and stuff do you all recomend?
The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #1 on: Mon 26 October, 2009 - 11:23 am »

It mostly depends wot you wanna do with it, then you can make specs to your needs. What are your plans for it, Smurfy?

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

smile4me
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #2 on: Mon 26 October, 2009 - 06:59 pm »

weeeellll, i want to burn dvds,design tshirts and print the transfers and edit photos and videos, surf the net,play music.
would love to have plenty of hard disk space for saving dvds to computor.as it is i find i cant even rip the whole dvd to the computor,only the main movie.
Butterfly Angel
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #3 on: Mon 26 October, 2009 - 08:42 pm »

have you thought about buying an external hard drive that is USB driven?  You can get them from Dick Smith, some are less than $100 and all are under $150.  Im getting one with 500GB space on it cause someone is giving me the entire season of Outrageous Fortune when I go up to Aucks for Top Gear! 
smile4me
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #4 on: Tue 27 October, 2009 - 02:39 pm »

i have thoufht about it and it sounds great to me but the guy who helps me with my comp said its no good for my old comp.
i just found a beauty of a comp at dtr though,and its on special so im applying for rent to own! its touch screen,built in dvd burner,soooo compact and preeetty!160gb SATA HDD,1GB RAM,WEBCAM,XP HOME EDITION,INTEL ATOM 230,18.5'' TOUCH SCREEN

is this good ?
The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #5 on: Tue 27 October, 2009 - 02:51 pm »

DTR usually have rip off prices tho! Wot about trying a store like Noel Leemings?

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #6 on: Tue 27 October, 2009 - 03:40 pm »

reckon, although I don't like GE Finance, which is who Noel Leemings uses.

If you can wait just a bit longer then Windows 7 will be released, and its apparently much better than Vista.

I can hear the raven sing .... a spiritual glow envelops, medicine power develops ... as the raven sings.
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #7 on: Tue 27 October, 2009 - 03:43 pm »

Windows 7 was released last week, in the North Island(and the rest of the world) anyway
« Last Edit: Tue 27 October, 2009 - 03:43 pm by Stu » Logged
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #8 on: Tue 27 October, 2009 - 04:09 pm »

is that why I got an email from Bill Gates?

I can hear the raven sing .... a spiritual glow envelops, medicine power develops ... as the raven sings.
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #9 on: Tue 27 October, 2009 - 04:31 pm »

Windows 7 is bound to be s**t anyway
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #10 on: Tue 27 October, 2009 - 04:42 pm »

when I looked at their comparison regarding what Win7 would do for me, there was stuff-all that was exciting, to be honest 

so unless there's a lot of behind-the-scenes betterment I won't be in a hurry to upgrade. I'm still getting used to Vista anyway 

Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #11 on: Tue 27 October, 2009 - 04:50 pm »

I've read a little on it(and I mean a little), what they've done is rolled back a lot of the faulty stuff in Vista, so some parts of it are closer to XP.  They're then going to do incremental improvements(like all other Software companies/organistions do) checking/testing properly as they go, and build it back up to Vista and beyond - Apparently XP is still faster, so I'm staying with XP for Windows stuff and using Linux more and more for other things
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #12 on: Tue 27 October, 2009 - 05:04 pm »

would be great to get a choice when you buy the comp, as to which windows you want with it

smile4me
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #13 on: Tue 27 October, 2009 - 07:57 pm »

i like xp,7 is good but like stu says its basicly the good version of vista.
☠ westy
Supreme Loser

the nightmare before westmas

« Reply #14 on: Thu 29 October, 2009 - 05:40 am »

i have thoufht about it and it sounds great to me but the guy who helps me with my comp said its no good for my old comp.
i just found a beauty of a comp at dtr though,and its on special so im applying for rent to own! its touch screen,built in dvd burner,soooo compact and preeetty!160gb SATA HDD,1GB RAM,WEBCAM,XP HOME EDITION,INTEL ATOM 230,18.5'' TOUCH SCREEN

is this good ?
it needs more ram 1gb is piss all, try and get them to throw in an upgrade

***Westy's Shed*** (Anything Goes R18) brought to you by non other than Westy thanks to the team at
www.thelastpost.co.nz
smile4me
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #15 on: Thu 29 October, 2009 - 03:51 pm »

really? cheers westy!will have a scout around before i sign up for anything.
but man,its so purrrrty
Butterfly Angel
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #16 on: Thu 29 October, 2009 - 08:06 pm »

is this good ?
it needs more ram 1gb is piss all, try and get them to throw in an upgrade

This is the one I got  http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4ae94c6a017155e4273fc0a87f3b06ee/Product/View/XC4929

Ok it only has 1GB RAM but it does  what I want to do and a HUGE improvement from the piece of crap one I had before.
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #17 on: Thu 29 October, 2009 - 08:31 pm »

ewwwww but it's DSE, you have to be a millionaire to get an HP with them - a few years back, I was going to get a nice laptop from there, repayments about $14 a week, we were earning around 100k combined with a few hundred every week left over after everything was paid, and they thought I couldn't pay $14 a week, and it took them 2 days to decide that, f**king morons, I just at them and went down the road to Harvey Norman, and had a new laptop in less than an hour, they were throwing money and deals at me
Butterfly Angel
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #18 on: Fri 30 October, 2009 - 01:52 am »

ewwwww but it's DSE, you have to be a millionaire to get an HP with them - a few years back, I was going to get a nice laptop from there, repayments about $14 a week, we were earning around 100k combined with a few hundred every week left over after everything was paid, and they thought I couldn't pay $14 a week, and it took them 2 days to decide that, f**king morons, I just at them and went down the road to Harvey Norman, and had a new laptop in less than an hour, they were throwing money and deals at me

eek I paid cash...And it felt good.
PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #19 on: Fri 30 October, 2009 - 07:43 am »

I got a Sony Vaio soo cited its a lappy but I see they're stepping into the PC market now too  yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

I found Harvey Normans financial snobs, same as GE Money. I'd like to shop at Noel Leemings just to collect the fly-buys, but I got a great deal at Powerstore - they went out of their way to be helpful.

smile4me
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #20 on: Mon 21 December, 2009 - 01:54 pm »

Welcome to the last PC buyer's guide for 2009 - today we are looking at the last few pieces of the hardware puzzle, specifically hard drives, optical drives and memory.

Much like any other components we have looked at, you will want to decide what your PC will be used for before settling on any particular product here.

For instance, components with low noise and heat output plus low power requirements will appeal to people building Home Theatre PCs, whereas gaming enthusiasts usually want maximum punch without worrying about most of those things, and those of you building a basic workhorse box probably just want something cheap and reliable that won't need to be replaced in 12 months.
Hard Drives

The first choice you're likely to come up against when looking at hard drives is whether to go HDD or SSD.

HDDs (Hard Disk Drives, aka "mechanical" drives) are the type of storage drive you're probably familiar with - they are the 3.5" little grey boxes inside your PC that make an incessant clicking noise when you are doing stuff on your computer (although modern drives are pretty quiet).

They are cheap and cheerful, offering capacities up to 2TB (2,000GB) for as little as $329 NZD (roughly $0.16 per gigabyte). They are also the slowest part of modern computers.

This is where SSDs (Solid State Drives) swoop in to save the day. As the name implies there are no moving parts in an SSD, so data can be accessed virtually instantaneously, and their parallel nature means that read and write speeds are off the charts compared to old HDDs.

Unfortunately they can also be prohibitively expensive. The popular 160GB Intel X25-M will set you back $849 (a whopping $5.30 per gigabyte).

A good compromise is to go with a small-ish SSD to house the operating system and your most commonly used applications and games, plus a larger HDD to store all your bulky files, videos, music etc.

Decent 64GB SSDs can be had for under $300 which may still seem expensive, but a decent PC these days costs upwards of $2,000 so it's not a huge ask to ensure that the biggest performance bottleneck in your system is removed.

Any type of system, be it a HTPC, gaming beast or 'net browser, will benefit from an SSD as the main drive, so unless you're budget constrained or really, really don't give a hoot about performance then I'd recommend going for one. Just make sure that you look for drives with Intel or Indilinx controllers (this is a vital indicator of the drive's performance).
Ad Feedback

Samsung controllers are also acceptable, whilst JMicron should be avoided. Any SSD, no matter what brand or controller, will have low power consumption, negligible heat and absolutely no noise output.

Mechanical HDDs come in two main flavours - performance and economy (although the actual marketing names vary). Performance drives have faster read/write speeds at the expense of noise and price. Economy drives have lower noise/heat output, lower power requirements and a lower price tag at the expense of performance (generally because the internal disks spin slower).

Performance drives are suitable as main boot drives whereas economy drives should be reserved for backup, storage, or HTPC drives.

Here are a selection of drives across the board that I can recommend...

SSD:
Kingston 64GB SSDNow V-Series SNV125-S2BD $235
Corsair 64GB X64 $409
Intel 160GB X25-M G2 $849

Performance HDD:
Western Digital 640GB Caviar Blue $109
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 $145

Economy HDD:
Western Digital 1TB Caviar Green $136
Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green $329

Optical Drives
In the age of digital content delivery (e.g. Steam et al), optical media seems to be falling to the wayside. Personally, I think over 90% of the use my DVD drive has got has been installing Windows. Nevertheless, it's still a required part of any PC and there are still plenty of options to look at.

For most people, a plain-Jane DVD-RW ought to suffice ("RW"=ReWritable), which will set you back less than $100. The only real step up from this is Blu-Ray, the new High Definition video disc.

Blu-Ray drives come in 3 main types - (1) BD-ROM, which can just read Blu-Ray discs along with DVDs and CDs, (2) BD-ROM with DVD-RW, same as the first type buy can also write to DVD and CD, and (3) BD-R/BD-RE, which does all of the above plus has the ability to write to blank Blu-Ray discs (RE means it can also erase and re-record onto rewritable discs).

Blu-Ray movies are stunningly high quality, and are definitely worth checking out, if only to take advantage of your high definition PC monitor. Blank Blu-Ray discs are also quite useful, each disc holding up to 25GB of data (or 50GB for dual-layer discs). They aren't exactly cheap though, starting at roughly $20 each. Also, if you're burning something to give to friends and family, handing them a BD-R disc may result in a quizzical stare on their behalf if they don't own a Blu-Ray reader.

My picks would be...

DVD:
Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD-RW $65

BluRay:
LiteOn IHOS104-06 BD-ROM $139
Samsung SH-B083A BD-ROM/DVD-RW $199
LG BH08LS20 BD-R/BD-RE/DVD-RW $395

Memory
This part depends on what sort of motherboard you have, the modern options being DDR2 and DDR3 (you can't put DDR2 into a DDR3 motherboard or vice versa).

DDR2 is the older type, with most motherboards made from 1 to 5 years ago using it. You'll usually find it being sold in "dual channel" kits consisting of two identical sticks, ranging in size from 2x512MB (1GB total) to 2x2GB (4GB total), and in speeds from DDR2-667 to DDR2-1066 (these are the "Double Data Rate" figures, the actual speeds would be 333Mhz and 533MHz respectively).

DDR3 has been gaining popularity over the last couple of years due to higher speed capabilities and lower power requirements. DDR3 kits are sold both in dual channel kits for Intel's Socket 775/1156 and AMD's Socket AM3 platforms, usually 2x1GB or 2x2GB, as well as "triple channel" kits for Intel's Socket 1366 platform, in 3x1GB, 3x2GB and even 6x2GB configurations. Speeds range from DDR3-1066 to DDR3-2166.

With the recent price-hike of DDR2 memory, the equivalent memory sticks in DDR3 only commands an approximate 10% premium over the older technology, so if you're faced with a choice between the two then it should be a no-brainer.

When it comes to deciding what speed to go for, it's best to check what your motherboard and CPU support first. Unless you're comfortable with overclocking, it's no good going out and buying DDR3-2166 memory if your motherboard will only run it at DDR3-1600.

Besides, at the end of the day unless you're a benchmark fanatic then the speed of the memory is going to make very little difference to your computing experience. What will matter more is the amount you use.

Generally speaking, Windows XP and Windows 7 will perform adequately with 1GB of RAM, whilst Windows Vista really requires 2GB as a minimum. For gamers, or those who run demanding applications such as video and photo editing, you should run at least 4GB for a better experience. Going over 6GB is considered overkill unless you have extremely specific requirements for this amount of RAM.

The other term you're likely to come across whilst looking at RAM is latency. Without getting into the technical aspect of latencies, all you really need to know is that lower = better, so much so that DDR3-1333 memory with 7-7-7-24 latencies will generally perform slightly better than DDR3-1600 memory running at 9-9-9-24.

Again though, the amount of RAM in your system is going to have much more impact on your experience than the speed or latencies.

Here are some kits that I would recommend checking out...

DDR2:
G.SKILL 2GBPK 2GB kit (2x1GB) DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 $93
G.SKILL 4GBPI 4GB kit (2x2GB) DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-15 $173

DDR3:
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GBRL 4GB kit (2x2GB) DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 $179
G.SKILL Ripjaws 6GBRM 6GB Tri-Channel kit (3x2GB) DDR3-1600 CL8-8-8-24 $304

- Gameplanet.co.nz
The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #21 on: Mon 21 December, 2009 - 01:55 pm »

eek

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

smile4me
Supreme Mistress

« Reply #22 on: Mon 21 December, 2009 - 02:04 pm »

sorry i put it there for my own use at a later date.
The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #23 on: Mon 21 December, 2009 - 03:22 pm »

ffs woman ... heard of paper? eek

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

PaganRaven
Buzzard

earth is not home to me

« Reply #24 on: Mon 21 December, 2009 - 03:51 pm »

herd of sheep....wait, you probably have 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length