Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Tue 23 January, 2018 - 10:51 am
Home Help Login Register Chat Personal Messages Logout
News: The Rules - updated 23/01/2012

+  Last Post
|-+  General Category
| |-+  The Lab (Moderator: Stu)
| | |-+  KindleFire
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: KindleFire  (Read 508 times)
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« on: Fri 30 September, 2011 - 12:01 pm »

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10755191

Seems like a lot of hype around these to me, they're powered by Android as well which I'm not too hot on these days
Bored
Supreme Master

It's not just a river in Egypt

« Reply #1 on: Fri 30 September, 2011 - 12:29 pm »

Why don't you like Android?

I think the kindlefire is a sure fire winner for Amazon. They've got a captive audience...

One of my friends has the kindle ereader and it's pretty good. The voice for text to speech is boring but it's a nice option for non-fiction books and the screen is easy to use. The only I don't like is not having a touch screen.

Free stuff - go on ya know ya want it
Stu
Site Admin

AssHoly Internet Bastard

« Reply #2 on: Fri 30 September, 2011 - 01:24 pm »

I find Android slow and buggy, it's not just the device I have it on either, when I Google problems I'm having with it, they seem common at an OS level - Even things like not being able to play all MP4's, I can encode an MP4 with the exact same settings on Windows and Linux, the windows one will work, the Linux one won't, but there's nothing I can find that make them any different, and Android is built on Linux - I'm on 2.2 though, newer versions may be better
The Fat Controller™
Buzzard

« Reply #3 on: Fri 30 September, 2011 - 01:42 pm »

Android will be good ONE day, I think. I just think it's not far enough at the moment. Someone asked me why their Android phone gets battery life than an iPhone, and I said one main reason is that the iOS is just that much more streamlined and that much more supported with good apps and games that an iPhone user simply is spending more time each charge cycle playing with the darn thing. The person I spoke to doesn't 'do' tech much, and hadn't downloaded a single app or game. Basically, they were seeing almost straight standby as comparable to an average iPhone cycle where you do tend to doodle about  with it much more. The iPhone OS and product support for it are still way out ahead of Android, and I've used both.

1121 (+2087/-966) 
BoB exist in his dog.

Bored
Supreme Master

It's not just a river in Egypt

« Reply #4 on: Fri 30 September, 2011 - 02:20 pm »

Thanks. I doubt I'd use the phone for mp4 so I wouldn't have noticed that

I don't have a smart phone yet. I was thinking of an getting one with android because then I'd have the ipad apps and also the android apps but I guess I'm better off with an iphone. I'll decide when the iphone5 comes out!!!

Free stuff - go on ya know ya want it
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length